How to apply
Interested teams should first read through the Rules & Eligibility requirements in detail before apply to #MadeBySFU.
Eligible teams must complete the #MadeBySFU Application by Sunday, September 15 @ 11:59 PM. Late entries will not be considered for the competition.
For any questions or concerns, please email Maycko Macapugas at firstname.lastname@example.org.
You are eligible to compete if...
Individuals and teams applying to the #MadeBySFU Competition must meet all of the following criteria including both eligibility and product criteria in order to compete. You may still be eligible to participate in the marketplace as a vendor if you do not meet the following criteria. Vendors are welcome to sell their product in the marketplace, however they cannot compete for any prizes.
- You are or a team-member is a current SFU student, staff, faculty member, alumni (graduated between 2009-2019) with at least 20% ownership of the business. OR the Applicant has been a participant of the SFU Venture Connection Incubator program during 2019.
- The business must have annual revenues below $50,000.
- Applicant must ensure at least one team member is available to showcase their product at the marketplace on October 24, 2019.
- Applicant must guarantee the originality of their submissions and are responsible for ensuring their product does not infringe any existing copyrights or patents.
- Applicant is responsible for ensuring their product abides by any and all applicable regulatory or certification requirements and suitable to be sold in British Columbia.
- Applicant must be able to deliver a min. $750 (wholesale cost) of the final product to the Spirit Shop by Wednesday, November 7, 2019.
- Product only; service-based applications will not be accepted
- The product must not already be sold in the SFU Spirit Shop
- Must be original or adapted products*; resellers not accepted (*not just adding a brand or sticker)
- Prototypes are accepted, but the applicant must guarantee the ability to deliver min. $750 (wholesale cost) of the final product to the Spirit Shop by Wednesday, November 7, 2019.
Orders can be prepaid, to help with manufacturing costs.
- Retail Price: $3-$100 (Refer to our Pricing blog post for more information on how to appropriately price your product, i.e. wholesale price vs. retail price
Product ideas include (but are not limited to):
- Innovative designs for traditional items (eg. reversible umbrella)
- Hand Made Books
- Clothing & gifts made from sustainable material
#MadeBySFU Grand Prize
Up to 3 winners will receive a $750 purchase order from the SFU Spirit Shop. Purchase Order Winners will be selected by SFU Spirit Shop Staff. On top of this purchase order, winners will receive promotion and exposure at all three Spirit Shop locations (SFU Burnaby, Surrey, and Vancouver) and the online store.
SFU Innovates Prize
1 winner will receive a $500 cash prize sponsored by SFU Innovates. This is prize is awarded to the product and entrepreneur that best addresses issues in economic sustainability with novel innovations.
SFU Alumni Association Prize
1 winner will receive a $500 cash prize sponsored by the SFU Alumni Association.
Fan Favourite Award
1 winner will be named as the Fan Favourite and will receive a $150 gift card to the SFU Spirit Shop. Voting will take place at the #MadeBySFU marketplace on October 24. Only one vote per person allowed. Additional votes will disqualify all votes from that person. The winner will receive the gift card on the day of the event.
All competitors and vendors will receive a $50 Spirit Shop gift card for participating in the competition and marketplace.
Coast Capital Savings Venture Connection Incubator
All winners are eligible for entry into the Venture Connection Incubator (with discretion of a review panel)
You're not on your own! Access these Venture Connection resources to help perfect your application:
- Manufacturing Cost vs. Wholesale Price vs. Retail Price Blog Post
- Mentor Meet
- Merchandising Workshop
The Venture Connection Resources page is a great place to start for resources on entrepreneurship, including writing company descriptions and preparing your pitch.