Notice of Service retirement, Sept 29, 2017
Update: Oct 3, 2016:
While FluidSurveys will be discontinued, SFU has been able to renew our contract and extend use and access to FluidSurveys though September 2017. This will provide stability while we pursue alternative survey services.
The FluidSurveys product will be discontinued by its parent company, SurveyMonkey, Inc. FluidSurveys will remain available to SFU until Sept 29, 2017.
- FluidSurveys will be available to SFU Staff, Students and Faculty until Sept 29, 2017. No access to data will be available after that point.
- Prior to that date, FluidSurveys remains available. If you need to keep/store survey data from the system, you should download that data prior to the service end date of Sept 29, 2017
- The products of SurveyMonkey, the parent company of FluidSurveys, are not currently an acceptable alternative at Simon Fraser University or other BC public institutions because those products store data on servers outside of Canada and as a result, are not BC FIPPA compliant.
- FluidSurveys was chosen as part of a Provincial RFP for a Survey service for BC Higher Education institutions. We do not know what product will replace FluidSurveys at this time. We expect that an RFP process will determine the Provincial selection and we will update this page with news about that process and SFU's involvement as it is available.
- SFU's own in-house WebSurvey tool (see below) remains available; because the two systems have quite different capabilities and data types, there is no way to migrate data from a FluidSurveys survey to create an equivalent SFU WebSurvey
Logging in to FluidSurveys
Check the box below to reveal the log-in link for FluidSurveys.
By using FluidSurveys with your SFU Computing ID, you agree to be bound by SFU's Terms of Service for FluidSurveys.
SFU is offering access to FluidSurveys, a full-featured web survey tool with a wide variety of question types and reporting. This service is provided to support surveys for University-related teaching, learning, research, and administrative purposes. The FluidSurveys application and data are hosted in Canada by a commercial provider external to SFU.
FluidSurveys Terms of Service
As FluidSurveys is an external provider of service to SFU, support for the service is provided directly by FluidSurveys and SFU policies and guidelines related to the use of personal information are subject to SFU's Terms of Service for FluidSurveys.
Your use of the FluidSurveys' service at SFU is voluntary, and your use of the service indicates agreement with Terms of Service Agreements for FluidSurveys and its parent company, SurveyMonkey Inc., and the SFU Terms of Service for the use of FluidSurveys with your SFU Computing Account.
If the Terms of Service or external hosting of FluidSurveys' data is unacceptable for your survey, SFU continues to offer an in-house WebSurvey solution. While not as full-featured as FluidSurveys, the SFU WebSurvey application and all survey data is hosted entirely in the SFU data centre.
The entire SFU WebSurvey application and its data storage is hosted entirely within SFU's datacentre. While not as full-featured as FluidSurveys, SFU WebSurvey provides a solution for data collection in cases where externally hosted solutions may be problematic.
SFU Websurvey is the most appropriate tool to use in any of these cases:
- personal data is to be collected in the survey where the Terms of Service of SurveyMonkey, Inc. may be in conflict with privacy, legal, or other requirements related to the use of that survey.
- the provision of personal data to the survey is considered mandatory for some University business (eg. as an assignment or as a component of an assignment in a credit course)
- if you expect that your survey may extend beyond the end date of the FluidSurveys deployment at SFU. Our current contract makes the software available until Sept 29, 2017.
SFU WebSurvey has a history of providing reliable, secure, locally hosted online surveys. Compared to FluidSurveys, the feature set is more limited, and frequently requested features such as conditional questions or branching are not available in WebSurvey.
SFU WebSurvey Terms of Service
The use of SFU Websurvey is primarily governed by University Policy GP-24, Fair Use of Information and Communications Technology. SFU WebSurvey is available to anyone currently holding an SFU Computing ID for University-related activities.
Logging in to SFU WebSurvey
The SFU WebSurvey application may be found at https://websurvey.sfu.ca
FluidSurveys and SFU WebSurvey FAQ
Which survey tool should I use?
There are several considerations:
FluidSurvey is the most full-featured of the two options, has more types of questions available, includes a good selection of starter templates, and offers frequently requested features such as 'branching' available within surveys. FluidSurveys will meet the widest range of needs.
However, even though FluidSurveys is hosted in Canada and meets the requirements of BC's FIPPA legislation, the parent company, SurveyMonkey, Inc. is US-owned and this has implications for support access (see our SFU FluidSurvey Terms of Service page for more detail). The SFU WebSurvey application and data are entirely hosted at the SFU datacentre and support is provided by SFU staff in Canada, only.
FluidSurveys is a hosted product with a service end date of September 29, 2017. If you have ongoing survey needs past the end of service/lifespan of FluidSurveys at SFU, using SFU Websurvey is expected to provide more long-term availability.
If you are using your survey as a mandatory requirement for course work or similar activity with FluidSurvey, you may need to consider using a personal information disclosure consent form and/or have alternative methods available for the student/etc. to complete that activity. Please contact the Information and Privacy Officer in the Archives and Records Management Department for the correct consent form to use. SFU WebSurvey would typically require no such consent form.
Who provides support?
All support for the FluidSurveys Service, including all end-user and survey support, is provided by FluidSurveys. Requests for FluidSurveys support can be made by directly contacting FluidSurveys.
FluidSurveys provides direct support for:
- product feature capabilities
- surveys creation and best practices
- technical issues
Any issues reported by survey respondents to the survey administrator should also be directed to FluidSurveys.
Online tutorials, how-to documentation, information about survey creation, advanced topics and techniques, and best practices can be found at FluidSurvey University, the FluidSurvey learning and support site.
SFU IT Services can only provide support related to account authorization and access through the CAS login page. See http://www.sfu.ca/itservices for contact addresses and options.
Support for SFU WebSurvey is via email at email@example.com. We support the configuration and use of the application itself, but cannot provide expertise in areas of survey design, best practices, and related topics.