FASnet Technical Support
The IT Services Research Computing Group (RCG) maintains a reliable state-of-the-art research computing facility, FASnet. This computer network comprises several hundred Unix, Linux, Windows and Mac workstations in the Schools of Computing Science, and Engineering Science at SFU. The Network Research Computing Group maintains the operating systems, network infrastructure, backbone cabling, hubs, routers, switches, gateways, data and electricity backup systems, file and CPU servers along with network-wide software tools and licenses.
Our primary contact is through the email email@example.com. The emergency weekend and holiday support number is 604-365-6432, if you are unable to send email. This number is monitored only on weekends and holidays.
Current FASnet Status: FASNET IS CURRENTLY OPERATING NORMALLY.
- Operating system installation and support
- Technology and purchase consultation
- Manage network license servers and group software purchases
- Technology training
FASnet Roles and Responsibilities
Research Lab Administrator
May be assigned to student Lab Administrator
- Liaise between LAB users and Research Lab Technical Contact (see below)
- Maintain LAB knowledge base - understand IT setup for LAB and administer it in consultation with IT Coordinator.
- Provide orientation/training to new LAB members
- Manage inventory in LAB, as appropriate for any given LAB
- Provide installation support for specialty applications, as appropriate for any given LAB
- Provide installation support for re-imaging LAB machines using tools provided by RSU
- Maintain LAB Wiki in collaboration with IT Coordinator
- Provide budget for h/w and s/w replacement or upgrade as necessary
- Appropriate use of Administrative privileges assigned to LAB Administrators
- Responsible for appropriate use of licensed s/w
- Monitor LAP RT queues as necessary
Research Lab Technical Contact
Assigned to Research Computing Group staff
- Attend LAB meetings regularly (at least Monthly) and open to regular visits to labs
- Available to attend group meetings or one-on-one with researchers
- Report back status of LAB issues and resolution to the RCG
- Provide access to IT planning for faculty associated with LAB and budget assistance for grant proposals
- Bring awareness of existing IT services to enable labs to leverage existing commodity services: Connect, CMS etc.
- Leverage commodity Services
- Bring lab requirements to RSU / SFU ITS
- Coordinate and leverage student lab admins & provide appropriate tools
- Help lab members maintain relevant Lab IT documentation (how to's, decision rationale, inventory & warranty info).
- Escalate issues to RSU management and advisory committee as appropriate
Members of the group meet once per month: CS IT Manager, ENSC IT Manager, RCG Manager, RCG Director, TBD
- Resolve escalated issues
- Identify necessary resources
- Develop policy and procedures
- Develop and promote RSU within SFU community
- Analyze service requests and incidents for themes
FAS IT Advisory Committee
Members of committee meet once per semester: CIO, Associate Dean, School Directors and some faculty members
- Long term planning of Research IT support
- Assignment of resources: people, budget, etc.
- Approval of changes to policies