Printing Setup Workflow
IT Desktop Support has produced a detailed workflow guide covering the process for setting up a new printer, including client setup, creating print queues on the IT Services Windows print servers, and processes for receipt and cheque printers.
As a staff member, you have access to all printers connected to the SFU Print Server.
Add a Printer From a Windows workstation:
- From Start menu: Control Panel: Printers and Faxes
- Click "Add a printer...". Click Next.
- Choose "A network printer...". Click Next.
- Choose "Find a printer in the directory". Click Next.
- All printers are labelled. Search for the name of the printer you want to install ("SC OPS01719 MFP" or "sc-2724-bw1", for example).
- Right-mouse click on the printer and select 'Connect'. Click finish.
- Codes are entered in the Printer Preferences. Remember to save your code for Account Tracking. (optional for some departments) Please contact your departmental assistant if you do not know your department's printing code.
Computer Lab Printing
Students, faculty members, and staff can print from any of the IT Services-CaRS distributed computer labs desktop computers to any one of the printer release terminals in the computer labs.
Retrieve your print job from any one of the printing stations located across campus. You will require a Laser Print card which can be obtained from one of the print card vending machine(s). Laser print cards are good across all SFU campuses.
Print cards are purchased at a cost of $1.00. The card is dispensed from a vending machine with no value on the card. Follow the instructions on the card vending machine to buy or add value to a card. Print Cards can be re-filled as required.
Once you've printed to a lab supported printer find a release terminal on your campus. Insert a Laser Print card in the card reader to activate the Print Manager program at the release terminal and enter the SFU Computer ID or ID used to sign on to the computer. Your print job(s) will be displayed on the print release terminal. Select the jobs you wish to print. The print fees will be deducted from your printing card.
For details on a specific campus print services, follow the links below.
Printing in computer labs
Cost for Printing
- Print Cards $1.00
- Black & white $0.11 per side
- Colour $0.25 per side