Regulating Precarious Work
- Aloisi, A. (2017) Commoditized Workers: Case Study Research on Labor Law Issues Arising from a Set of “On-Demand/Gig Economy” Platforms. Comparative Labor Law and Policy Journal, 37(3), 653-691. DOI: 10.2139/ssrn.2637485. Retrieved from https://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm?abstract_id=2637485
- Badgett, M.V.L. (2008) Employment and Sexual Orientation: Disclosure and Discrimination in the Workplace. Journal of Gay and Lesbian Social Services, 4(4), 29-52. DOI: 10.1300/J041v4n04_03. Retrieved from http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.1300/J041v04n04_03?src=recsys
- Brown, C.L. (2010) Sexual Orientation and Labor Economics. Feminist Economics, 4(2), 89-95. DOI: 10.1080/135457098338482. Retrieved from http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.1080/135457098338482
- Cranford, C.J., Vosko, L.F., Zukewich, N. (2003) Precarious Employment in the Canadian Labour Market: A Statistical Portrait. Just Labour, 3, 6-22. Retrieved from http://justlabour.journals.yorku.ca/index.php/justlabour/article/view/164/163
- Donovan, S.S., Bradley, D.H., Shimabukuru, J.O. (2016) What Does the Gig Economy Mean for Workers? Congressional Research Service, CRS Report R44365. Retrieved from http://digitalcommons.ilr.cornell.edu/key_workplace/1501/
- Goldring, L., Landolt, P. (2011) Caught in the Work-Citizenship Matrix: The Lasting Effects of Precarious Legal Status on Work for Toronto Immigrants. Globalizations Journal, 8(3), 325-341. DOI: 10.1080/14747731.2011.576850. Retrieved from http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/full/10.1080/14747731.2011.576850?scroll=top&needAccess=true
- Kalleberg, A. L. (2009) Precarious Work, Insecure Workers: Employment Relations in Transition. American Sociological Review, 74(1), 1-22. DOI: 10.1177/000312240907400101. Retrieved from http://journals.sagepub.com/doi/abs/10.1177/000312240907400101
- Kuhn, K.M. (2016) The Rise of the “Gig Economy” and Implications for Understanding Work and Workers. Society for Industrial and Organizational Psychology, 9(1), 157-162. DOI: 10.1017/iop.2015.129. Retrieved from https://www.cambridge.org/core/journals/industrial-and-organizational-psychology/article/rise-of-the-gig-economy-and-implications-for-understanding-work-and-workers/0359098FEC51B66EFC02101105B25FCF#
- Man, G. (2004) Gender, work and migration: Deskilling Chinese immigrant women in Canada. Women’s Studies International Forum, 27(2), 135-148. DOI: 10.1016/j.wsif.2004.06.004. Retrieved from http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0277539504000172
- Part-time, Poorly paid, Unprotected: Experiences of Precarious Work in Retail, Food Service, and Hospitality in Victoria, B.C. (2016) The Vancouver Island Public Interest Research Group, 1-29. Retrieved from https://static1.squarespace.com/static/58c868a8b3db2b0c3a7e69a5/t/58ca047ed1758e9193a9ce2a/1489634432433/VIPIRG-RAN-2016-Parttime-poorly-paid-unprotected.pdf
- Stefano, V.D. (2016) The Rise of the ‘Just-in-Time Workforce’: On-Demand Work, Crowd Work and Labour Protection in the ‘Gig-Economy’. Comparative Labor Law and Policy Journal, Forthcoming,Research Paper No. 2682602, 1-51. DOI: 10.2139/ssrn.2682602. Retrieved from https://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm?abstract_id=2682602
- Stewart, A., Standford, J. (2017) Regulating Work in the Gig Economy: What are the Options? The Economic and Labour Relations Review, 28(3), 420-437. DOI: 10.1177/1035304617722461. Retrieved from http://journals.sagepub.com/doi/abs/10.1177/1035304617722461
- Waite, S., Denier, N. (2015) Gay Pay for Straight Work: Mechanisms Generating Disadvantage. Gender and Society, 29(4), 561-588. DOI: 10.1177/0891243215584761. Retrieved from http://journals.sagepub.com/doi/abs/10.1177/0891243215584761
- Waite, S., Denier, N. (2016) Self-Employment among Same-Sex and Opposite-Sex Couples in Canada.Canadian Review of Sociology, 53(2), 143-175. DOI: 10.1111/cars.12103. Retrieved from http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/cars.12103/full
Think Tank/ Bank Reports
- Alexander, C. (2016) Job One is Jobs: Workers Need Better Policy Support and Stronger Skills. C.D. Howe Institute, 1-12. Retrieved from https://www.cdhowe.org/sites/default/files/attachments/research_papers/mixed/e-brief_227_0.pdf
- Cranford, C.J., Vosko, L.F., & Zukewich, N. (2003) The Gender of Precarious Employment in Canada. Industrial relations, 58(3), 454-482. Retrieved from https://www.riir.ulaval.ca/sites/riir.ulaval.ca/files/2003_58-3_4.pdf
- Cross, J.S., Jones, A. (2017) Many Ontarians in precarious work: report. DurhamRegion.com. Retrieved from https://www.durhamregion.com/news-story/7329125-many-ontarians-in-precarious-work-report/
- Final Report of the Precarious Work Group. (2015) Peace and Justice Grey Bruce, 1-33. Retrieved from http://www.livingwagecanada.ca/files/2114/2287/7141/Final_Report_of_the_Prec_Wrk_Gr_PJ__Append.pdf
- Fleury, D., & Fortin, M. (2006) When Working is not Enough to Escape Poverty: An Analysis of Canada’s Working Poor. Human Resources and Social Development Canada, 1-172. Retrieved from http://vibrantcanada.ca/files/when_work_not_enough.pdf
- Ivanova, I., Daub, S., Cohen, M., & Jenkins, J. (2017) Poverty and Inequality Among British Columbia’s Seniors. Canadian Centre for Policy Alternatives, 1-56. Retrieved from https://www.policyalternatives.ca/sites/default/files/uploads/publications/BC%20Office/2017/04/ccpa-bc_seniors-inequality.pdf
- Lahey, K.A. (2016) Equal Worth: Designing Effective Pay Equity Laws for Alberta. Parkland Institute, 1-52.
- Lahey, K.A. (2015) The Alberta Disadvantage: Gender, Taxation, and Income Inequality. Parkland Institute, 1-112.
- Longhurst, A. (2014) Precarious: Temporary Agency Work in British Columbia. Canadian Centre for Policy Alternatives, 1-44. Retrieved from https://www.policyalternatives.ca/sites/default/files/uploads/publications/BC%20Office/2014/07/ccpa-bc_precariousTempWork_fullReport.pdf
- Teelucksingh, C., & Galabuzi, G.E. (2005) Working Precariously: The impact of race and immigrants status on employment opportunities and outcomes in Canada. The Canadian Race Relations Foundation, 1-39. Retrieved from http://www.socialjustice.org/uploads/pubs/WorkingPrecariously.pdf
United States/ International
- Kaine, S., Ravenswood, K. (2013) Working in Residential Aged Care: A Trans-Tasman comparison. New Zealand Journal of Employment Relations, 38(2), 33-46.
- Littman, D. (2013) The living wage: an idea whose time has come. New Zealand Journal of Employment Relations, 38(2), 70-77.
- McGregor, J. (2013) The human rights framework and equal pay for low paid female carers in New Zealand. New Zealand Journal of Employment Relations, 38(2), 4-16.
- Newman, A. (2013) Precarious work and a living wage in our communities. New Zealand Journal of Employment Relations, 38(2), 64-69.
- Pacheco, G., Dye, J. (2013) Estimating the Cost of Youth Disengagement in New Zealand. New Zealand Journal of Employment Relations, 38(2), 47-63.
- Rasmussen, E., Lind, J. (2013) In support of a New Zealand ‘living wage’: reflections on Danish ‘working poor’ trends and issues. New Zealand Journal of Employment Relations, 38(2), 17-32.
- Skilling, P. (2013) Review Essay: Inequality and the Living Wage. New Zealand Journal of Employment Relations, 38(2), 78-81.
Think Tank/ Bank Reports
- Busby, C., & Muthukumaran, R. (2016) Precarious Positions: Policy Options to Mitigate Risks in Non-standard Employment. C.D. Howe Institute, 1-24. Retrieved from https://www.cdhowe.org/sites/default/files/attachments/research_papers/mixed/Commentary%20462_0.pdf
- Frenette, M., & Morissette, R. (2005) Will They Ever Converge? Earnings of Immigrant and Canadian-Born Workers over the Last Two Decades. The International Migration Review, 39(1), 228-257. Retrieved from http://www.jstor.org/stable/pdf/27645482.pdf?seq=1
- Goldberg, H. (2015) The Long Journey Home: The Contested Exclusion and Inclusion of Domestic Workers from Federal Wage and Hour Protections in the United States. International Labour Organization, 1-45. Retrieved from http://www.ilo.org/wcmsp5/groups/public/---ed_protect/---protrav/---travail/documents/publication/wcms_396235.pdf
- Policies and Regulations to Combat Precarious Employment. International Labour Organization, 1-51. Retrieved from http://www.ilo.org/wcmsp5/groups/public/---ed_dialogue/---actrav/documents/meetingdocument/wcms_164286.pdf