Labour Studies Resources
The Canadian Association of Work and Labour Studies (CAWLS): http://cawls.ca/en/
BC Labour Organizations
BC Labour History
Unions in Canada
- Global March against Child Labour: http://www.globalmarch.org/gap/index.php
- UNICEF: The State of World's Children: http://www.unicef.org/sowc08/
- ILO World Day Against Child Labour 12 June: http://www.ilo.org/ipec/Campaignandadvocacy/WDACL/lang--en/index.htm
- ILO International Programme on the Elimination of Child Labour: http://www.ilo.org/ipec/lang--en/index.htm
- Corporate Watch - Holding Corporations Accountable: http://www.corpwatch.org
- Plunder: The Crime of our Time: Watch the trailer
Directed by Danny Schecter, USA, 2010, 100 minutes
Plunder: The Crime of Our Time explores how the financial crisis was built on a foundation of criminal activity, uncovering the connection between the collapse of the housing market and the economic catastrophe that followed. It argues that the wrong doing committed by a few individuals distracts from the real story, implicating the institutions that financed and profited from fraudulent sub prime lending. These firms recklessly put trillions of dollars and the world economy at risk.
Health and Safety
- International Trade Union Confederation (ITUC):2010 survey of trade union rights violations around the world.
Survey in full: http://survey.ituc-csi.org
Video on the Survey: Press release on Africa / Asia and Pacific / Europe / Middle East / Americas
- International Banana Trade: www.bananalink.org.uk
The site explores the injustices of the international banana trade and broader issues surrounding free trade. Use the following link to access several short leaflets on a variety of topics including women in the banana trade and the environmental impact of bananas.
- Labour Solidarity Organization: http://burmasolidarity.org
- Slavery and Forced Labour: http://www.hrea.org/index.php?base_id=160
- Migration ILO http://www.ilo.org/public/english/bureau/inst/research/migration/
Labour and the Green Economy
- Safe and Sustainable Workplaces for All: www.icftu.org/focus.asp?Issue=ohse&Language=EN
This brief pamphlet examines the importance of safe and environmentally sustainable workplaces. The resource also explains the role of unions in student-friendly language.
- Toronto and York Labour Council - on the Green Economy: www.labourcouncil.ca/enviropage.html
- Fight for $15
- Podcast: The Living Wage CBC's "The Current" with Erika Johnson.
- Minimum Wage Fact Sheet: Canadian Centre for Policy Alternatives: Minimum_Wage_Fact_Sheets.pdf
This resource contains eight point-form fact sheets with information and statistics about different issues concerning minimum wage in Canada.
- Government of BC, Ministry of Labour, Employement Standards, Minimum Wage Fact Sheet: www.labour.gov.bc.ca/esb/facshts/min-wage.htm
- Stats Canada: Fact Sheet Minimum Wage: www.statcan.gc.ca/studies-etudes/75-001/comm/5018829-eng.pdf
- Saskatchewan Union of Nurses: Fact Sheet on Minimum Wage: www.sun-nurses.sk.ca
- The Living Wage Campaign: http://livingwageforfamilies.ca
The Living Wage for Families Campaign is guided by an Advisory Committee of representatives from community organizations and other partners and supporters in Metro Vancouver.
- Ontario Federation of Labour Library--Women: www.ofl.ca/index.php/library/index_in/C41
This virtual library of OFL materials deals with the labour movement and women. Documents range from in-depth studies to student friendly pamphlets, all available as Portable Data Files. The site also allows the user to browse publications in other topic areas.
- Equality once and for all! A Campaign for Women’s Economic Equality (English/French):
- Workshop materials, a series of catchy short fact sheets, and background research documents from the Canadian Labour Congress campaign are posted on this website. Topics include child care, pensions, young women, the role of unions and more.
- Everything you ever wanted to know about Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual and Trans Issues…Well, maybe not everything: www.caw.ca/en/3678.htm
This booklet provides some ‘basic answers to basic questions’ about the LGBT community within the labour movement. Content includes definitions of terms, information about workplace issues, and suggestions for allies.
- Young Worker Awareness Program (English/French): www.ywap.ca