Rising Up Coalition is hiring a Campaign Organizer
Rising Up Against Unjust Recruitment is a coalition which seeks to advance the rights of migrant workers in BC by eliminating illegal and exploitative labour recruitment practices and promoting strong labour rights and protections. This volunteer-run campaign was launched in December 2016 with the aim to engage a broad range of stakeholders and allies around these issues.
The coalition is looking for an experienced campaigner/organizer to help develop and execute high-impact campaign strategies that achieve long-term campaign goals. You will work with the coalition to ensure that our campaign becomes a top issue for both the government and the broader public. In particular, you will help develop, implement, and evaluate campaign outreach/educational events and workshops, a press conference, and a webinar to promote awareness of and engagement around the campaign. If you've got a talent for mobilizing people, a strategic mind, and a passion for migrant rights and social justice issues, this position could be for you.
This is a 3-month contract position, starting early September for 15 hours/week @ $17.50/hour.
Your work may be based from home, the field, or the West Coast Domestic Workers’ Association office downtown. The coalition will provide the campaigner with support and direction.
Roles and Responsibilities:
- Conduct outreach and organize and participate in community events to enhance awareness of and engagement around the campaign.
- Help organize a press conference to bring campaign issues and demands to the attention of local media and the general public with the aim of amplifying pressure on the BC government to make necessary changes.
- Assist develop and host a webinar for stakeholders located outside of the Lower Mainland so they may learn about and engage with the campaign.
- Manage social media platforms and create campaign materials and communication tools as necessary.
- Consult with and report to the coalition about campaign strategies and activities.
Skills and Qualifications:
- Excellent written, oral, and interpersonal communication skills.
- Experience planning and coordinating projects and activities in a campaign setting.
- Experience with public outreach and engagement.
- Self-directed, extremely well organized, and able to prioritize and efficiently complete multiple tasks.
- Ability to work with diverse populations in a sensitive and respectful manner.
- Demonstrated experience with, knowledge of, and/or interest in the Temporary Foreign Worker Programs and migrant justice issues.
- Experience using Microsoft Office programs, Facebook and Twitter.
- Ability to be flexible with hours and tasks (as required) and collaborate with coalition members.
- Must have a personal computer to work on.
- Ability to design graphics and simple information materials using Microsoft Office or software.
- Experience managing website content using WordPress or similar CMS platforms.
- Fluency in an additional language (preferably Spanish or Tagalog).
How to Apply:
- Please submit a cover letter and resume in PDF format by email to firstname.lastname@example.org by August 14th, 2017 @ 4pm.
- Please identify "Campaign Position" in the subject heading.
We thank all applicants for their interest, but only candidates who are shortlisted for an interview will be contacted.