TA Hiring Priority (TSSU Guidelines)
Teaching Assistant /Tutor-Marker Hiring Priorities (revised July 7, 2016)
Priority for appointment/reappointment as a Teaching Assistant is in accordance with Article XIII of the Collective Agreement with the Teaching Support Staff Union (TSSU).
Priority for appointment/reappointment as a Tutor-Marker is in accordance with Article XV of the Collective Agreement with the Teaching Support Staff Union (TSSU).
In hiring Teaching Assistants, the Mathematics Department gives priority to applicants in the following order:
1. Qualified graduate students registered in the Mathematics Department.
2. Qualified graduate students registered in other departments.
3. Qualified Undergraduate Teaching Assistants (UTA) or qualified External Teaching Assistants (ETA).
In allocating Teaching Assistant/Tutor-Maker positions, the department will also take into account the following:
- instructor requests;
- applicant’s preferences;
- amount of financial support offered on admission to the graduate program;
- suitability for particular courses (e.g. discipline of prior degree(s), publications, experience);
- employment evaluations;
- number of base units already received to ensure sufficient teaching related experience in her/his field of study can be acquired.
If an assignment within a priority group requires a selection between applicants, the graduate student without financial support from merit based scholarships or merit based fellowships during the semester of appointment with a value equal to at least a 5.17 appointment, will have priority for the appointment.
Simon Fraser University is committed to employment equity and encourages applications from all qualified women and men, including visible minorities, aboriginal people and persons with disabilities. In accordance with Canadian immigration requirements, this advertisement is directed to those who are eligible at the time of the application for employment in Canada.
Base Unit Information
Salary Per Base Unit (BU) ~ May 1, 2017 - April 30, 2018
|Salary (per 1 BU)||Scholarship (per 1 BU)|
|GTA1 (SFU Master Student)||$1011||$141|
|GTA2 (SFU Ph.D. Student)||$1011||$354|
|UTA (SFU Undergraduate student)||$1011||N/A|
|ETA (External TA)||$1011||N/A|