Graduate Program Admission
Application Period Opens: October 1, 2017
Application Period Closes: January 15, 2018
Supporting Documents Deadline: February 1, 2018
References Deadline: February 1, 2018
All application materials must be received by these deadlines for the following Fall 2018, Spring 2019 and Summer 2019 semester admissions.
Incomplete applications after this deadline may not be considered but will still be charged the application fee.
- Applicants to the MSc program should have completed a Bachelor's degree with CGPA of at least 3.0, or equivalent.
- Applicants to the PhD program should have completed a Master's degree, or a Bachelor's degree with CGPA of at least 3.5, or equivalent.
- A student who is already working towards an MSc at Simon Fraser may be permitted to transfer to the PhD program before completion of the MSc but such cases are rare.
Please see the Dean of Graduate Studies resource on minimum equivalent academic requirements for admission (by country):
SFU has a very limited number of Major Entrance Scholarships for exceptional students, valued at $18,000 for a one-year period. If you wish to be nominated for an entrance scholarship, you are strongly encouraged to submit your application for admission by January 15, 2017. Failure to submit your application for admission by this deadline will decrease your chances for consideration in the annual Entrance Scholarship Competition to be held in February 2017.
Process & Documents Required
Please see the Dean of Graduate Studies Link for General Information about the Online Application Process.
- UNIVERSITY APPLICATION
Must be completed in full and submitted at which point you will be instructed to pay the application fee.
After paying the application fee you will be able to upload supporting documents.
- APPLICATION FEE
$90.00 CAN (students with Canadian transcripts)
$125.00 CAN (students with international transcripts)
These fees are paid by Credit Card only (MasterCard or Visa)
- UPLOAD TRANSCRIPTS
Unofficial transcripts will suffice for consideration of admission, but once and offer is made, we cannot admit you without the original official transcript.
One set (hard copies) of each of your original Official Transcripts from all Post-Secondary Institutions attended, must be mailed directly, in the original sealed envelope, (coming either directly from the educational institution or mailed by you) to the Department address provided. Any uploaded transcripts in your application will be considered unofficial.
Department of Mathematics
Simon Fraser University
8888 University Drive
Burnaby, BC, V5A 1S6
- THREE LETTERS OF REFERENCE
The referee system is on-line. When you submit your application, your referees are e-mailed a secure line where they are able to enter or upload a confidential reference for your application.
1. At least two of which should be from persons familiar with the applicant's academic achievements.
2. For MSc applicants, letters should address the ability of the applicant to undertake advanced work.
3. For PhD applicants, letters should address the ability of the applicant to undertake substantial original research
- TOEFL or IELTS scores (for applicants whose first language is other than English)
Please follow this link for information about minimum University requirements as well as how to submit your scores.
The University minimum requirements for English proficiency for the IELTS is an overall band score of 7.0 of the academic (NOT general) test with a minimum of 6.5 in each section.
The University minimum requirement for the TOEFL internet based exam is a total score of 93, with a minimum score of 20 in each category.
For the paper based TOEFL test, the university normally requires a score of 580, with TWE 5.
- GRE General Test Results & GRE Mathematics Subject Test Results
Recommended but not mandatory. The Graduate Record Examinations provide standardised tests of skills relevant to graduate students. These allow us to better evaluate your application.
Note: So we may properly evaluate your documents, you must complete an admission application and upload your supporting documents to the application.
We will not evaluate documents sent as e-mail attachments before you apply.
Page Maintained by: Sofia Leposavic