- Algebraic and Arithmetic Geometry
- Applied Combinatorics
- Applied Mathematics
- Computer Algebra
- Discrete Mathematics
- History of Mathematics
- Industrial Mathematics
- Mathematics, Genomics & Prediction in Infection & Evolution - MAGPIE
- Mathematics and Data
- Mathematics of Communications
- Number Theory
- Operations Research
- Centre for Operations Research and Decision Sciences
- News & Events
Quantitative Placement Test
About the Q Placement Test
If, upon admittance to SFU, you don’t meet the prerequisites to take a Q course, you can either pass the Quantitative Placement Test, or complete FAN X99 with a minimum grade of C. Please see the Curriculum Initiative for more information.
If you’re not sure whether your math knowledge is where it needs to be to succeed in a Q course, or if your math background is not recent, we recommend that you take the Q Placement Test, or try a practice test.
Upcoming Q Placement Test Dates:
- Aug 23 (Fri) | 1:00pm - 2:30pm | Burnaby Campus (TEST NOW FULL)
- Aug 27 (Tue) | 10:00am - 11:30am | Burnaby Campus (TEST NOW FULL)
- Aug 28 (Wed) | 1:00pm - 2:30pm | Burnaby Campus (TEST NOW FULL)
- Sept 03 (Tues) | 11:30am - 1:00pm | Burnaby Campus (TEST NOW FULL)
Please arrive 5 minutes early. You should anticipate being at the test site for 30 minutes after the scheduled end time.
Students are allowed at most 1 cancellation, reschedule, or 'no-show' per term. Test reschedules are approved or denied subject to the discretion of the undergraduate advisor. You are typically not allowed to reschedule a test within 6 weeks of a test cancellation or no-show. Requesting to reschedule to a later date is counted as a cancellation for the purpose of this rule.
After you’ve accepted your offer of admission, you can register for the Q Placement Test.
Activate your SFU computing ID
Find your preferred test date in the calendar below. If no dates are listed, check back regularly
Email email@example.com with “Q Test” in the subject line to schedule the test. All test are taken at the Burnaby Campus. You MUST email from your SFU email account and include the following in the body of the email:
- Your full legal name
- Your student number
- Your computing ID
- Your preferred test date(s) in order of preference
If you do not follow these instructions, your email will be discarded. Please do not send multiple emails.
You cannot write this test more than once.
Please note that the tests have limited capacity and students are registered in the order their emails are received.
A test may be listed as available when you send your registration email but be full by the time you receive a response. You are not registered for a test until you receive a confirmation email from the test administrator.
- There are 30 questions on the test. You must answer at least 20 questions correctly to pass the test
- You will have 1.5 hours to complete the test
- Electronic devices are not permitted on the test site. You will be provided access to a basic four-function calculator
- The test can only be written a single time. Re-writes are not allowed.
- Students are allowed at most 1 cancellation or reschedule per term. Test cancellations or reschedules are approved or denied subject to the discretion of the undergraduate advisor.
- You must bring picture ID to the test