- B.Sc., University of Waterloo
- Ph.D., University of Ottawa
Developing bioinformatics methods, and capitalizing on combined bioinformatics and wet-lab approaches, investigating microbes and their host/environmental interactions, to better understand key themes in infectious disease etiology, microbiome conservation, and associated immune disorders. The overall goal is to develop more sustainable, integrated approaches for infectious disease control.
For more details, visit our research home page.
- Peabody MA, Van Rossum T, Lo R, Brinkman FS. Evaluation of shotgun metagenomics sequence classification methods using in silico and in vitro simulated communities. BMC Bioinformatics. 2015 Nov 4;16:363. PubMed PMID: 26537885.
- Laird MR, Langille MG, Brinkman FS. GenomeD3Plot: A library for rich, interactive visualizations of genomic data in web applications. Bioinformatics. 2015 Jun 20. pii: btv376. PubMed PMID:26093150.
- O’Doherty KC, Neufeld JD, Brinkman FS, Gardner H, Guttman DS, Beiko RG. Opinion: Conservation and stewardship of the human microbiome. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2014 Oct 7;111(40):14312-3. doi: 10.1073/pnas.1413200111. PubMed PMID: 25294925.
- Achtman AH, Pilat S, Law CW, Lynn DJ, Janot L, Mayer ML, Ma S, Kindrachuk J, Finlay BB, Brinkman FS, Smyth GK, Hancock RE, Schofield L. Effective adjunctive therapy by an innate defense regulatory peptide in a preclinical model of severe malaria. Sci Transl Med. 2012 May 23;4(135):135ra64. PMID: 22623740.
- Gardy JL, Johnston JC, Ho Sui SJ, Cook VJ, Shah L, Brodkin E, Rempel S, Moore R, Zhao Y, Holt R, Varhol R, Birol I, Lem M, Sharma MK, Elwood K, Jones SJ, Brinkman FS, Brunham RC, Tang P. Whole-genome sequencing and social-network analysis of a tuberculosis outbreak. N Engl J Med. 2011 Feb 24;364(8):730-9. PMID: 21345102.
This instructor is currently not teaching any courses.