Only 11% single-use plastics in Canada are recycled and they make up 40% of Canada’s plastic waste.
SFU Meeting, Event & Conference Services (MECS) acts as a Canadian campus leader in zero-waste and sustainability to eliminate single-use plastics and products in the delivery of its services.
SFU’s Meeting, Event and Conference Services is working with its catering partners to reduce waste by:
- Providing reusable dishware and compostable products
- Offering healthy and low carbon impact (e.g. vegetarian, vegan) catering options
- Serving Fairtrade Canada certified coffee, tea and sugar
As a part of this initiative, we are offering reusable and eco-friendly alternatives for the following common event and conference items:
- Plastic water and drink bottles
- Disposable cups
- Plastic straws, stir sticks and utensils
- Balloons & confetti
- Plastic single-use signage
- and more!
Please head to the Sustainability Office page for more info on other waste-reduction and circular-economy iniatives at SFU.