Faculty & Adjuncts
Research Ethics Review Process for Research Studies Conducted by SFU Faculty or Adjunct Faculty
Ethics Process Details
1) The Principal Investigator (PI) will submit their research ethics application through the Office of Research Ethics (ORE) Application Database. The initial application must include a detailed description of the study (protocol, study detail etc.); consent documents and any research instruments to be used in the study, if applicable. All documents should be uploaded in PDF format.
2) The Manager or Ethics Assistant, ORE, reviews the initial application for completeness. The Manager or Ethics Assistant, ORE, will send requests for modifications and clarifications directly to the PI. The PI must respond to these queries by sending an email to firstname.lastname@example.org citing the study number in square brackets in the subject line and attaching any revised documents in PDF format.
3) Once the Manager or Ethics Assistant, ORE, is satisfied that the PI has responded adequately to all queries, the study is passed to the Associate Director or Director, ORE. The ADORE or DORE will review the study. The ADORE or DORE may or may not send additional queries to the PI. Once the ADORE or DORE is satisfied with the study and determines that the study is minimal risk, a letter of approval on behalf of the SFU REB will be issued to the PI.
4) If the ADORE or DORE considers that an application might appropriately be designated greater-than-minimal risk, the ADORE or DORE will consult with the Chair of the SFU REB who will decide whether an application should be forwarded to the REB for review by the appropriate subcommittee.
5) The appropriate subcommittee will review the study. The SFU REB subcommittee may or may not send additional queries to the PI. Once the SFU REB subcommittee is satisfied with the study, a letter of approval will be issued to the PI