Spring 2018 - PHYS 871 G100
Introduction to Elementary Particle Physics (3)
Class Number: 11688
Delivery Method: In Person
Elementary particle phenomenology; classification of particles, forces, conservation laws, relativistic scattering theory, electromagnetic interactions of leptons and hadrons, weak interactions, gauge theories, strong interactions.
• Relativistic Kinematics
• Overview of Relativistic Quantum Mechanics and Classical Field Theories.
• Introduction to Feynman Diagrams and Reaction Amplitudes.
• Interactions and Quantum Electrodynamics.
• Symmetries, Groups and Conservation Laws. The Gauge Principle.
• SU(2) × U(1)Y Electroweak Theory and the Higgs Mechanism.
• SU(3)color and the Quark model of hadrons.
• Deep Inelastic Scattering: The Structure of the Nucleon.
• Neutrino Physics
• Experimental Concepts
• Recent results and progress in the field.
MATERIALS + SUPPLIES:
Modern Particle Physics
Intro To Elementary Particles
Graduate Studies Notes:
Important dates and deadlines for graduate students are found here: http://www.sfu.ca/dean-gradstudies/current/important_dates/guidelines.html. The deadline to drop a course with a 100% refund is the end of week 2. The deadline to drop with no notation on your transcript is the end of week 3.
SFU’s Academic Integrity web site http://students.sfu.ca/academicintegrity.html is filled with information on what is meant by academic dishonesty, where you can find resources to help with your studies and the consequences of cheating. Check out the site for more information and videos that help explain the issues in plain English.
Each student is responsible for his or her conduct as it affects the University community. Academic dishonesty, in whatever form, is ultimately destructive of the values of the University. Furthermore, it is unfair and discouraging to the majority of students who pursue their studies honestly. Scholarly integrity is required of all members of the University. http://www.sfu.ca/policies/gazette/student/s10-01.html
ACADEMIC INTEGRITY: YOUR WORK, YOUR SUCCESS