Fall 2023 - EDUC 371W E100
School Health Education (4)
Class Number: 4790
Delivery Method: In Person
Course Times + Location:
Sep 6 – Dec 5, 2023: Mon, 4:30–8:20 p.m.
Oct 10, 2023: Tue, 4:30–8:20 p.m.
Prerequisites:60 units; or permission of instructor.
Explores health concepts, health behaviors, and health concerns of school-aged children and youth. Focuses on comprehensive and co-ordinated school health programs, innovative instructional strategies, and health-promotion initiatives to create healthy school communities. Students with credit for EDUC 371 may not take this course for further credit. Writing.
The course is designed for future teachers and health educators. It will explore the new BC Physical and Health Education curriculum focusing on the competencies and content for the themes of Active Living, Social and Community Health and Mental Health in the K – 10 PHE curriculum. The course will examine best practices for teaching Physical and Health Education, instructional strategies, the development of programs and resources aimed at supporting health concepts, assessing and evaluating health resources, positive health behaviors, and addressing health concerns of school-aged children.
COURSE-LEVEL EDUCATIONAL GOALS:
- To explore the new B.C. Ministry of Education Physical and Health Education curriculum.
- To ensure that students have an understanding of how to implement a comprehensive school Physical and Health education curriculum.
- To broaden student perspectives on the various branches that comprise health and well being.
- To develop program and resources for the new PHE curriculum.
- To acquire various strategies, skills, and best practices for teaching Physical and Health Education.
- Class participation 22.5%
- Instructional example 7.5%
- Health Unit Plan 30%
- Health Lesson 15%
- Spark Paper 12.5%
- Circle in Circle, Peer Reflections and Discussion Boards 12.5%
- Attendance is a key component of this course and students are expected to actively participate and engage in groups discussions and activities. Students will receive a mark every class. It is very difficult to do well in this course without being present. Students on the wait list are expected to attend the first class.
- Late assignments will lose 5% per day.
- There are no rewrites or resubmissions so please put forth your best effort with all your submissions.
As a writing intensive course, students will participate in exercise and assignments aimed towards enhancing their understanding of the content and the development of their writing skills
B.C. Ministry of Education Physical and Health Education curriculum The Essentials of Teaching Health Education: Curriculum, Instruction and Assessment, 2nd edition by Sarah Benes, and Holly Alperin. 2021
Spark by John J. Ratey. 2013
REQUIRED READING NOTES:
Your personalized Course Material list, including digital and physical textbooks, are available through the SFU Bookstore website by simply entering your Computing ID at: shop.sfu.ca/course-materials/my-personalized-course-materials.
ACADEMIC INTEGRITY: YOUR WORK, YOUR SUCCESS
SFU’s Academic Integrity website http://www.sfu.ca/students/academicintegrity.html is filled with information on what is meant by academic dishonesty, where you can find resources to help with your studies and the consequences of cheating. Check out the site for more information and videos that help explain the issues in plain English.
Each student is responsible for his or her conduct as it affects the university community. Academic dishonesty, in whatever form, is ultimately destructive of the values of the university. Furthermore, it is unfair and discouraging to the majority of students who pursue their studies honestly. Scholarly integrity is required of all members of the university. http://www.sfu.ca/policies/gazette/student/s10-01.html
Students with a faith background who may need accommodations during the semester are encouraged to assess their needs as soon as possible and review the Multifaith religious accommodations website. The page outlines ways they begin working toward an accommodation and ensure solutions can be reached in a timely fashion.