- M.A. University of Oslo
- Ph.D. University of Pittsburgh
Current Research Interests
I have wide interests in philosophy. Much of my recent work has focused on questions at the intersection of philosophy of mind/psychology and language/linguistics. But I am now about to start an SSHRC supported project entitled “The Epistemology of Social Prejudice,” which I hope will result in a book manuscript over the next couple of years. Additionally, I have done a fair amount of work in political philosophy, and occasionally dabble in the odd bit of history. I teach and supervise across all these areas.
Below are some of my recent publications, but please see my webpage for a full list.
- Begby, E. forthcoming a. “Doxastic Morality: A Moderately Skeptical Perspective.” Philosophical Topics: Special issue: “Can Beliefs Wrong?”
- Begby, E. forthcoming b. “Straight Thinking in Warped Environments.” Analysis Reviews: Symposium on Susanna Siegel’s The Rationality of Perception.
- Begby, E. 2017. “Perceptual Expansion under Cognitive Guidance: Lessons from Language Processing.” Mind & Language.
- Begby, E. 2016b. “Language from the Ground Up: A Study of Homesign Communication.” Erkenntnis.
- Begby, E. 2016a. “Deranging the Mental Lexicon.” Inquiry.
- Begby, E. 2015. “Hermeneutics and Pragmatism,” in Jeff Malpas and Hans-Helmuth Gander, eds., The Routledge Companion to Philosophical Hermeneutics.
- Begby, E. 2014c. “Lexical Norms, Language Comprehension, and the Epistemology of Testimony.” Canadian Journal of Philosophy.
- Begby, E. 2014b. “A Role for Coercive Force in the Theory of Global Justice?” in Thom Brooks, ed., New Waves in Global Justice.
- Begby, E. 2014a. Review of Tyler Burge, Cognition Through Understanding. Notre Dame Philosophical Reviews.
- Begby, E. 2013b. “The Epistemology of Prejudice.” Thought.
- Begby, E. 2013a. “Semantic Minimalism and the ‘Miracle of Communication’.” Philosophical Studies.
- Begby, E. 2012. “Collective Responsibility for Unjust Wars.” Politics.
- Begby, E., G. Reichberg, and H. Syse. 2012. “The Ethics of War” (parts I & II). Philosophy Compass.
- Begby, E. 2011b. Review of Tyler Burge, Origins of Objectivity, Notre Dame Philosophical Reviews.
- Begby, E. 2011a. “Concepts and Abilities in Anti-Individualism.” Journal of Philosophy.
This instructor is currently not teaching any courses.