Annual Progress Review
Simon Fraser Univeristy requires that the Supervisory Committees of all graduate students report on the student’s progress at least once each year. The Annual Progress Review is typically arranged by the student every third term, towards the end of each year in the program. Students begining in the Fall term will typically hold their Annual Progress Reviews each August. Progress Report forms are available for download on the right side of this page.
There are 3 components to the Annual Progress Review:
1) Progress Summary
The Progress Summary is a one page written report completed by the student and submited to the Senior Supervisor one week before the Supervisory Committee Meeting. The Progress Summary is part of the Annual Progress Report (see below).
2) Annual Progress Report
The Annual Progress Report conisists of six sections:
- Part 1 and sections of Part 2 are completed by the student and submitted to the Senior Supervisor one week before the Supervisory Committee Meeting.
- Part 3 of the Annual Progress Report is the Progress Summary noted above.
- Parts 4 through 6 are completed by the Senior Supervisor in consultation with the Supervisory Committee, and are submitted to the Physics Program Assistant after the meeting.
3) Supervisory Committee Meeting
Students will consult with the Supervisory Committee to schedule a Supervisory Committee Meeting every third term, towards the end of each year in the program. Students begining in the Fall term will typically hold their Annual Progress reviews each August. Committee Meeting requirements and format can be discussed with the Senior Supervisor. However, most committee meeting will consist of the following items:
- Presentation of the student's research plan and progress
- Review of student's transcript in relation to SFU's CGPA requirements
- Review by the supervisory committee of the Student's submitted report, research progress, research goals, grades, course plan and funding.
Instructions for Completing Your Annual Progress Review
1) Schedule your committee meeting
- Be sure to leave yourself enough time to write and submit your progress report! (You will need to submit the report to your supervisor early enough to give them time to review the report.)
- Please contact your committee members directly to schedule your committee meeting.