1G10.40 Atwood's Machine with Two Pulleys
Two masses pull a scale in different directions to measure the tension in the string. One mass can be detached and the string held in hand to simulate the string being attached to a wall.
-  Lab stand
-  90-degree clamp
-  Pulley
-  20-N display scale
-  Steel brick
-  1-kg mass
-  String with hook
- Place lab stands each with a steel brick on the base.
- Clamp a pulley to each stand.
- The string may slip out of the pulleys. The string should not be under tension for longer than necessary to do the demo.
- Hang a mass on the loop side of a string.
- Lay the string over a pulley and hook it to the scale.
- Hook the other string to the other side of the scale and lay it over the other pulley.
- Hang the other mass on the loop side of the other string.
- PIRA 1G10.40
- Don't attempt this at home!
If you have any questions about the demos or notes you would like to add to this page, contact Ricky Chu at ricky_chu AT sfu DOT ca.