The SFU Department of Physics is hosting the Canadian Association of Physicists (CAP) Congress June 3-7, 2019. On the first day of the Congress, June 3rd, there will be a workshop for local high school science teachers. This workshop will include the opportunity to attend the Opening Plenary talk by the 2018 Physics Nobel Prize Winner, Canadian Dr. Donna Strickland, University of Waterloo.
The main focus of the workshop sessions will be learning how to adapt current laboratory activities to the new BC Curriculum design. There will also be an additional FREE workshop session on the use of Foldscope paper microscopes in the classroom. Teachers (at any level, not just high school science) may choose to only attend the Foldscope session.
Registration is now open.
- To register for the full workshop, please go to the CAP Registration Page. For help with registration, please see the instructions below.
- To register for the FREE Foldscope workshop only, please go to the Foldscope Teachers Workshop Registration Page.
June 3rd Teachers Workshop - Schedule
|7:30-8:30||Sign in at Registration Table|
|8:30-9:30||Formal Opening & Plenary Talk by 2018 Physics Nobel Prize Winner Dr. Donna Strickland, University of Waterloo|
||Morning Workshop Session
||Afternoon Workshop Session|
||CAP Teaching Medal talk|
||FREE Foldscope Workshop - Register separately here|
||Social Gathering (optional)|
In addition, at 7:30pm there will be the free Herzberg Memorial Public Lecture from Dr. Manu Prakash of Stanford University, presenting "Frugal Science in the Age of Curiosity."
To register for the full Teachers Workshop you have two options:
- Join the Canadian Association of Physicists (CAP) for a fee of $26 and then register as a member and pay a $10 workshop fee.
- Register as a non-member and pay a $50 workshop fee.
Registration instructions and links to the registration forms can be found on the CAP Congress Register Now page. The process is as follows:
1) On the registration form you must first indicate that you are registering as a High School / CEGEP / College Teacher. This will automatically select registration for Monday June 3rd.
(Note: High school teachers are welcome to attend additional days of the 2019 CAP Congress at no additional charge. If you plan to do so, please select all of the days you will attend.)
2) Please select all of the sessions in the Teachers Workshop that you plan to attend. This includes the free lunch for workshop participants and the optional Foldscope workshop if you would like to take part.
3) You are welcome to attend the free Herzberg Memorial Public Lecture 7:30-8:30 PM on the evening of June 3rd. You may also attend the Welcome Reception with BBQ 6:00-7:15 PM for a $25 fee.
4) Once you have made all of your selections, you can input your personal information and pay for your registration with a credit card.
For more information: email@example.com
If you require funding support, to defray registration costs or to help pay for a TTOC (substitute teacher), in order to attend the Teachers Workshop, please contact Dr. Sarah D. Johnson at the email address above.