- Clean Energy Research Group
- Feminist Mobilization and Economic Empowerment
- The Governance of Migration
- News & Events
- Affiliated Programs
- NATO Field School
- Honours BA, Université de Moncton
- MA, University of Alberta
- PhD, Queen’s University
Research and Supervision Fields
Status: Accepting new graduate students
- The Politics of Language
- Multiculturalism and Minority Rights
- Theories of Justice, Recognition and Empowerment
- Canadian Political Thought
- Public Policy & Democratic Governance
- Justice & Law
- Diversity & Migration
I am interested in the history of ideas, particularly how social groups adopt ideas and translate them into political claims, and how states convert ideas into public policies. Most of my research has focused on the politics of language in Canada, including the political claims of francophone community organizations and the development of language policies. These debates revolve around ideas of justice, equality and development. My current research project examines the political claims for recognition and empowerment of linguistic minorities in Canada and internationally, as well as state responses to these claims.
At SFU, I am currently serving as the Director of the French Cohort Program in Public & International Affairs, where I teach three political science courses en français. Outside SFU, I serve as editor of the journal Francophonies d’Amérique and Chair of the Research Committee on the Politics of Language at the International Political Science Association. I regularly discuss language politics and policies in Canada with various media outlets.
Please see my personal website to find more information about my publications and my current research.
- 2020. La Confédération et la dualité canadienne. Québec, Presses de l’Université Laval (with Valérie Lapointe-Gagnon, Serge Dupuis and Alex Tremblay Lamarche eds.)
- 2019. Le Canada dans le monde: Acteurs, idées, gouvernance. Montréal, Presses de l’Université de Montréal (with Aude-Claire Fourot, Jérémie Cornut et Nicolas Kenny eds.)
- 2018. “Les hauts et les bas de l’action politique: luttes pour l’éducation en français en Colombie-Britannique.” Linguistic Minorities and Society 9: 196-216 (with Nicholos Poullos).
- 2018. The Politics of Multilingualism in Canada: A Neo-institutional Approach.” In Peter Kraus and François Grin (eds.), The Politics of Multilingualism: Europeanisation, Globalisation and Linguistic Governance. Amsterdam: John Benjamins (with Linda Cardinal).
- 2017. Special issue on “Normative perspectives on Language Policy and Planning.” Journal of Multilingual and Multicultural Development 38 (7) (with Huw Lewis eds.).
- 2014. “De la reconnaissance à l’habilitation de la francophonie canadienne.” Francophonies d’Amérique 37: 17-38.
Future courses may be subject to change.