- News and Events
- NATO Field School
Honours applications are now CLOSED. Please check back in 2020 for information on the next cohort.
The Honours program is intended to give students advanced knowledge in Political Science. Students complete 60 upper division units for the Honours degree, which provides a broad background in the field, as well as the chance to concentrate on one specific area of interest.
The small class sizes in upper-division seminars mean that Honours students develop personal relationships with professors and classmates. In their final year, Honours students complete a 5-unit Honours Essay, working closely with a Faculty supervisor to complete a research project. For many students, the chance to choose a topic of personal interest, design a reading list and research plan, and write the essay with close consultation of their supervisor make the Honours Essay the highlight of their undergraduate career.
- Your CGPA is at least 3.0.
- Your UDGPA is at least 3.33.
- You have completed at least 75 units, and are within three (3) terms of completing your degree.
Honours degree requirements:
- 120 units total – 60 Upper Division units total
- 48 Upper Division POL units, including POL 499-5 Honours Essay and POL 490-5 Honours Seminar. An additional 8 of these 48 units must be at the 400-level (see calendar for details).
- Completed Honours Application form
- Identify two potential faculty members to supervise your Honours essay
- SFU advising transcript
- 250-word statement of interest
- Writing sample (usually a course paper)
- May 31, 2019
Dr. Sanjay Jeram, Undergraduate Chair, email@example.com