Office of the President
Andrew Petter, President and Vice-Chancellor
Petter's Perspective: Notes from the President
Congratulations Class of 2017
Spring Convocation is an exciting and inspiring time for the Simon Fraser University community.
Convocation provides an opportunity to celebrate the value of an SFU education, honour the achievements of our students, and welcome family, friends and distinguished guests to the Burnaby campus.
To the class of 2017: congratulations on your many accomplishments. I encourage you to embrace SFU’s spirit of engagement as you embark on the next chapter of your lives. And I urge you to stay in touch with your alma mater as you join the ranks of almost 150,000 alumni. We will always be here for you.
In addition to honouring our graduates, SFU will confer Honorary Degrees on the following six extraordinary individuals:
- Jacob (Jack) Austin (Doctor of Laws, honoris causa): Former Canadian senator and federal cabinet minister; his legacy includes significant contributions to Canadian government, and to building Canada-China relations.
- Miloon Kothari (Doctor of Laws, honoris causa): Architect and internationally recognized human rights advocate; his work has led to the establishment of new global tools and standards for addressing housing and land rights.
- Dionne Brand (Doctor of Letters, honoris causa): Celebrated professor, poet, novelist and essayist whose writing engages intensely with issues of social justice. A former Poet Laureate of Toronto, and recipient of the Governor General's Literary Award.
- Asma Jahangir (Doctor of Laws, honoris causa): Prominent Pakistani human rights lawyer and activist, who has worked tirelessly to champion the human rights of women, children and the poor in Pakistan and Southeast Asia.
- James (Jim) Hart (Doctor of Fine Arts, honoris causa): Chief James Hart is an accomplished Haida artist and master carver whose sculptures, poles, prints and jewelry are displayed and appreciated around the world.
- James Cameron Hogg (Doctor of Science, honoris causa): physician, researcher and educator. His innovation, leadership and drive have revolutionized the medical community's understanding and treatment of Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease and asthma.
Congratulations to our outstanding graduates and distinguished honorees. Enjoy your day as we celebrate your success!