Psychology Undergraduate FAQs

Declaration & Academic Requirements

I applied for admission to SFU as a psychology major.  Do I need to contact a psychology advisor?

Plan designations you made on your SFU application form are ‘intentions’ only. You must declare a psychology plan in the Psychology Department after you have commenced at SFU.

How do I declare a Psychology plan?

If you have met the declaration requirements for psychology plan, please email a pdf of your Advising Transcript, sorted by subject, to the Undergraduate Advisor.  Your advising transcript is available to you via goSFU.  Please be sure to include your SFU student number, full name, and specify which plan you wish to declare.  The deadlines for declaration are March 1 (Summer), July 1 (Fall) and November 1 (Spring).  Additional instructions here.

May I use a course from another Department toward my requirements for my Psychology program?

The Department of Psychology does not allow courses from other departments to be used towards psychology plan requirements.

What SFU Calendar regulates my academic career?

The Calendar in effect when you took your first course at SFU regulates your degree. The Calendar in effect when you declared a psychology plan regulates that psychology plan.  The Calendar is available here.

Course Repeats

How many duplicate courses may I complete at SFU?

You are permitted a total of five duplications (repeats) at SFU, and you may duplicate a specific course only once.  Our department does not grant exceptions to this university policy.  Duplications taken at other institutions before arriving at SFU are not counted, however if you repeat a course at SFU which you already took elsewhere that does count as a repeat.  The course repeat policy can be found here.

If I duplicate a course, how are my GPAs calculated?

The higher mark is used to calculate your GPAs. The other mark remains on the transcript, but is not calculated in GPAs. Note that a mark from another institution cannot supercede an SFU grade.  The policy can be found here.

Registrations & Withdrawals

If a course is full, is there a wait list?

The Psychology Department activates waitlists when the course is full.

When can I register in upper division psychology courses?

Registration in upper division psychology courses is restricted.  Students who have declared a psychology plan (eg. minor, major) can register on their registration date.  Students who have not declared a psychology plan can register from the open enrollment date.

May I register for a course if I do not have the prerequisites?

Students may request a prerequisite waiver from the instructor teaching the course.  If you have requested the waiver by email, please forward the professor’s email to the Undergraduate Advisor.  All prerequisite waivers are entered into goSFU on the open enrollment date.  A prerequisite waiver does not guarantee students a seat in the course.

How do I add a course, or swap a tutorial, during week 1 of classes?

All adds, drops, swaps etc. are done by the student via goSFU.  For help with goSFU, click here

How do I add a course, or swap a tutorial, during week 2 of classes?

If a space becomes available in week 2, and if you have been attending classes, you may contact the Undergraduate Advisor via email to enquire about being added into the course. – Note that adds in week 2 are not possible for all courses. Any adds in week 2 are handled on a first-come first-served basis.

How can I drop a course?

Students may be able to drop a course on the goSFU during the first few weeks of classes.  Students must consult the current Undergraduate Schedule for the course add/drop deadlines, refunds, penalties, and notations.  Information on withdrawal due to extenuating circumstances can be found here.

Can I enroll in two remote courses that have a time conflict?

Students must receive instructor permission from both instructors if they want to enrol in a PSYC or COGS course that has a schedule conflict with a course in which they’re already enrolled. Conflicts are typically caused by time of lectures, tutorials, or exams. To complete the time conflict form, click here. 

Please make note of the registration deadlines and review information regarding remote classes (synchronous/asynchronous) here.

Transfer Credit

How many credits can I transfer?

Under a Bachelor of Arts, students can have a maximum of 60 transfer credits, including a maximum of 15 upper division credits.  Refer to the SFU Calendar for further information regarding transfer credit. 

How can I find out whether a course will transfer to SFU?

The BC Transfer Guide is an accurate source for evaluated coureswork taken at BC institutions. Students who have completed courses at universities or colleges outside of BC can contact Admissions in Student Services to ask whether and how a course has been articulated at SFU.  Students transferring courses to SFU should be prepared to submit the detailed course syllabus for each course they wish to transfer to SFU.

What does it mean if I received transfer credit labeled PSYC 2XX? PSYC 3XX?

If a course did not have the same content as a course at SFU, you may still be able to obtain transfer credit. PSYC 1XX or 2XX means you have been given lower division credit, and PSYC 3XX or 4XX means you have been given upper division credit in the Psychology Department.

What does it mean if I received transfer credit labeled GE 1XX?

GE is general credit.  The course did not map into a department at SFU, but you have nevertheless been given lower division credit towards your degree.

May I take a course at another institution if I am already registered or have completed courses at SFU?

Yes. If you want the credit to transfer back to SFU, you must apply for a Letter of Permission before taking the course.  A Letter of Permission may take 6 to 8 weeks to process.  Many schools require that you have an approved Letter of Permission prior to allowing you to register at their school.  


How do I appeal a grade?

Before commencing an appeal, you must read the policies and procedures related to grades and appeals.  Please be aware that if you request a grade appeal, your course work may receive the same grade, a lower grade or a higher grade after re-evaluation.

Briefly, the steps are:

    1. Discuss your concerns with the course instructor.

    2. If you feel that the grade was unfairly awarded, you may submit an appeal in writing to the Associate Chair, Undergraduate Studies, Psychology Department.  You must submit all original marked assignments.

    3. If you feel the Department’s decision was inappropriate, you may submit an appeal in writing to the Dean, Faculty of Arts & Social Sciences.  The decision of the Dean is final, subject only to an appeal to Senate.

What if I feel I’ve been treated unfairly for any reason?

For concerns regarding grade appeals or any other matter, you may wish to contact the Ombuds Office.


How do I apply for graduation?

Students can apply for graduation via goSFU. If you have withdrawn your application, or if it has been denied, you must re-apply online.   Please see convocation information and student deadlines.