Date: Tue, 24 Apr 2007 17:27:48 -0700
To: retirees-executive@sfu.ca
From: Santa Aloi <aloi@sfu.ca>
Subject: benefits
Cc: Ingrid, Michael
Bcc:
I read this statement of purpose from your website with interest:  to encourage the University and its various employee groups to take into account requirements of its retirees;
I'm sure you would agree that in addition to field trips and the like, there are substantial requirements that the Retirees Association should address.  Therefore,  I would like to call your attention to the situation re extended medical benefits available to SFU retirees.  One again, when faced with the need for "para medical" services, I am astonished at the paucity of support our university gives its' retirees.

Today I phoned Blue Cross,  because my doctor suggested I see a Podiatrist for some rather severe foot problems.  I was told that our "benefit" is $10 for the first 12 visits and, basically, $8.00 after that to a max of $200 per year.  That means, of course, that the $95 I will have to pay for the first visit, will cost me $85, and then I'm on my own until  (or if) I have had 11 more visits....  Several hundred dollars down the road.  In fact, this "benefit" is a joke.  Just filling out the form would be an insult.
This is not the first time that I have encountered such a problem with our extended health plan, but for years I had simply given up and haven't bothered to file for any of the "para-medical" services I might have needed or taken.  However, in this instance, I am fuming because I simply cannot do without the medical attention, as well as the new orthotics I will need in order to remain able to walk without pain, and without having major operations--(one pair per lifetime---now there's a "benefit"!).

I know that there are numerous examples of how the SFU plan fails to meet the needs of retirees when we most need support.  I suggest that SFURA survey it's members to determine whether others have had similar needs unmet.

Perhaps, also, SFURA should contact the Faculty Association about the poor extended health benefits this university provides at all levels. (my husband who is still a full time professor would get $33.86, for example. for 12 podiatrists' visits)   I contacted Susan Stevenson several years ago to complain about our package, but she reiterated some nostrum about how the province had cut benefits and the coverage was to replace what the province used to cover.  Of course, in the old days, the extended plan did indeed cover what the province didn't - a reasonable prercentage of the gap between provincial coverage and the actual costs!

It just may be time to investigate other extended health providers:  A friend whose husband just retired mentioned that she was distressed at the poor dental benefits for retirees, and was told that Sun Life provides much better protection for UBC retirees.

I look forward to hearing from you,

Santa Aloi

--

Santa Aloi