From: Jan Sanderson <Jan_Sanderson@sfu.ca>
Date: July 17, 2007 2:51:18 PM PDT (CA)
Subject: Ian Dyck, Associate Professor of History, 1954-2007

Ian Dyck Associate Professor of History, 1954-2007

It is with profound sorrow that we inform the University community of the
untimely passing of a remarkable teacher, scholar, colleague and friend.
Following a courageous battle with a chronic form of lymphocytic leukemia,
first diagnosed in 1999 and the challenge of a bone marrow transplant this
past November, Ian Dyck, an Associate Professor in the department of
History, passed away on Sunday 15 July 2007, eight days shy of his 53rd
birthday.  Proud son of Saskatchewan farmers, Ian completed BA and MA
degrees from the University of Saskatchewan before taking up doctoral work
at the University of Sussex under the influential supervision of John
Harrison.  D. Phil. in hand, Ian taught for a year at Saskatchewan and
another at Lethbridge before coming to Simon Fraser in 1988.  SFU suited Ian
and he flourished at the university. His work on _William Cobbett and Rural
Popular Culture_, published by Cambridge University Press in 1992,
established a reputation that he enhanced with two edited collections, a
dozen articles and a score of reviews. His most recent work was a fine
edition of Cobbett’s _Rural Rides_ for Penguin (2001). Until the illness
robbed him of his strength, he gathered material for a seminal study of what
he called _The Cottage Charter: Rural Song in England, 1500 - present_.  His
work won him support from SSHRC and fellowships in Cambridge and at the
Huntington Library. He will perhaps be best remembered as a superb teacher
with an uncanny ability to relate to young people, winning the University’s
Excellence in Teaching Award in 1991.  Hundreds of undergraduates delighted
in his Western Civilization lectures and he was much loved as a seminar
leader in a course on Popular Culture in Britain and Europe or in the
required courses for History Honours students. Few colleagues made such an
impression on graduate students.  Instinctively collegial and sympathetic,
hospitality was his second nature and he made good gossip over a pint an art
form. His loss will be deeply felt by many and we send our condolences to
his family who were with him in his final hours.  A memorial service at the
university will take place in October.

John Craig, MA, PhD, FRHistS
Professor and Chair
Department of History