Cheers,
Dan
Daniel McDonald
#1302- 6188 Wilson Ave
Burnaby V5H 0A5
d._mcdonald@telus.net  604.433.5776
Make a Small Development Loan, Make a Big Difference. Easy.
http://www.kiva.org/
**We are changing the walk for tomorrow (Wednesday, May 23) to Burnaby
Lake because of the rainy weather forecast. Here is the description of
tomorrow?s walk.

BURNABY LAKE

The next SFURA walk will be at Burnaby Lake on Wednesday, May 23 at
10:00 AM. Ted Cohn will lead the walk, which is quite level, takes about
2 1/2 hours, and is umbrella-compatible.

DRIVING DIRECTIONS:

>From the west: Drive east on Lougheed Highway to Bainbridge Avenue. Turn
right (south) on Bainbridge to Winston Street, then left (east) on
Winston to Piper Avenue, and turn right (south) on Piper across the
railway tracks to the Burnaby Lake Nature House.

>From the east: Drive west on Lougheed Highway to Brighton Avenue (the
southern section of Production Way). Turn left (south) on Brighton and
continue to Winston Street. Turn right (west) on Winston and continue to
Piper Ave.  Turn left (south) on Piper to the Nature House.

There should be parking just north of the Nature House. On the slight
chance that it is full, you can park at Warner Loat Park just north of
the railroad tracks.

THE ROUTE WE WILL WALK:

We will walk east from the Nature House to where Burnaby Lake goes into
the Brunette River, and then we?ll cross the dam and walk upstream on
the south bank. We walk on the riding and hiking trail before turning
right onto the South Shore Trail. This winds through groves of large
conifers and deciduous trees and over boardwalks across marshy areas
until we reach the Glencarin trailhead. We then pass close to the water
behind the Wildlife Rescue Centre and cross a bridge before arriving at
a parking lot for the rowing pavilion. We then take the Pavilion Trail
to the large sports field. After crossing a creek, we return to the
north side of Burnaby Lake, turn right and take the long straight
Cottonwood Trail. Shortly before returning to the Nature House, we pass
a tower which gives a clear view of the lake. If you bring binoculars,
there are many varieties of ducks and birds by the water near the Nature
House.

Bring a lunch if the weather seems to be OK.  If you have questions
about the walk, e-mail Ted at cohn@sfu.ca.

*This is a voluntary activity. SFURA assumes no liability for accidents
and injuries resulting from the walk.*