Cheers,
Dan
Daniel McDonald
#1302- 6188 Wilson Ave
Burnaby V5H 0A5
d._mcdonald@telus.net  604.433.5776
Make a Small Development Loan, Make a Big Difference. Easy.
http://www.kiva.org/

Alouette River Dykes Walk

The next SFURA walk will be along parts of the Alouette River Dykes on
Wednesday June 13 at 10 AM. Parveen Bawa will lead the walk. The route
is flat, and umbrella-friendly unless windy. If it has been dry for a
number of days, runners will be fine, but some portions of the dykes may
be very muddy if it has been wet recently, in which case lightweight
hiking boots would be advisable. Few people will feel that walking
sticks are needed. Mosquito repellant may be useful. In the unlikely
event of sunny weather, since there is very little tree cover sun
protection is advisable. The walking time, not counting stops to look at
birds or scenery or for an extended mid-walk snack, will probably be
just over three hours; the distance is about 14 km. Those preferring a
slightly shorter walk can reduce the total distance by about 2.5 km by
walking along a portion of Neaves Road, as indicated below. There are
picnic tables at the trailhead for lunch after the walk, if the weather
is suitable. On a reconnaissance walk near the end of February, numerous
birds were seen when not scared away by snow showers, and the scenery of
the mountains when visible was grand.

DRIVING DIRECTIONS:

Take the Lougheed Highway (Highway 7) east, and about 3 km east of the
Pitt River Bridge turn left (north) onto Harris Road (well-signed).
Drive about 3.5 km until just before a bridge over the Alouette River.
(Road construction work preventing direct access earlier this Spring is
now finished.) There are parking lots on both the west and east sides of
the road, just south of the bridge; we will meet in the one to the east,
which is closer to the trailhead and has a primitive toilet. There are
no other toilets until we are back at the parking lot. Driving time from
Burnaby is about 45 or 50 minutes under light traffic conditions.

THE ROUTE WE WILL WALK:

We will walk counterclockwise (viewed from above) around the
approximately 14 km loop. The first dyke section follows the south bank
of the Alouette River upstream for just under 2 km. At this point the
North Alouette River joins the South Alouette River. Our route continues
upstream along the south bank of the South Alouette River as the route
turns to the southeast. At about the 5 km point Neaves Road crosses the
river on a bridge, which we will use to get to the north bank of the
South Alouette. At this point, those preferring the shorter walk can
proceed north, walking carefully along the west side of Neaves Road,
about 2.5 km to the bridge across the North Alouette River, to meet the
rest of the group there. The main group turns left and follows the north
bank of the South Alouette River back to the junction with the North
Alouette observed earlier. The junction, a bit more than halfway around
the loop (the southern portion is longer) is a good place to stop and
have a larger snack than usual, because of the length of the walk and
the lateness of lunch back at the cars. (Those taking the road short-cut
can pick a safe place for their snack break, perhaps on one of the dykes
next to the bridge across the North Alouette.) At the junction of the
South Alouette and the North Alouette, the dyke system turns and follows
the south bank of the North Alouette to the bridge where Neaves Road
crosses the North Alouette. Here we use this bridge to cross to the
north bank, following the dyke as it turns and twists its way downstream
along the North Alouette and then, past the junction with the South
Alouette, along the Alouette. When we arrive at the bridge on Harris
Road, we will use it to cross to the south bank, the parking lot, our
cars, and a by then very welcome lunch.

A map made from a Google Maps view, showing the entire route, can be
viewed or downloaded at
<http://dl.dropbox.com/u/5565238/ARD%20Google%20Map.png>

A map made from portions of Canadian Topographic Maps 92G2 and 92G7,
also showing the entire route, can be viewed or downloaded at
<http://dl.dropbox.com/u/5565238/ARD%20Can%20Topographic.png>

If you have questions, e-mail Parveen at bawa@sfu.ca