The Faculty of Science is a leader in offering science education to BC high school and elementary students, First Nations communities and the general public. Through these programs, we are able to share our laboratories, classrooms and the expertise of our researchers. Most importantly, our community engagement programs demonstrate SFU's commitment to advance science literacy and inspire curiosity and wonder in our next generation of scientists.
Our students and faculty also support many other events within the community and the BC school system by offering their services as classroom lecturers, judges and coaches. We can also arrange for lab tours and career exploration talks. Please contact email@example.com or call 778-782-6967 if we can assist you in your classroom activity.
- All programs for youth are offered for free at the Burnaby campus.
- Unless indicated, all workshops are held at the Trottier Studio for Innovative Science Education, room C9051 Shrum Science Chemistry Building. See map.
- If your class is arriving by school bus, contact us for complimentary parking arrangements. Otherwise, parking fees apply to private vehicles. See SFU Parking.
- We require a 1:10 adult to child ratio, please ensure that you have enough parent/teacher volunteers that are able to supervise the children for the length of the workshop. This pertains to both high school and elementary classes.
- Please let us know if there are any students with special learning needs in your group so that we can modify our learning strategies and content.
- Our science outreach workshops are run by enthusiastic faculty members, graduate students and volunteers - please treat them with respect and courtesy.
Parents and teachers looking for fun science experiments for students to do at home or in the classroom are free to check out our Seasonal Science Activities page. There will soon be science experiments appropriate to each season, with references to the BC school curriculum and background information on SFU scientists who work in the field.
New workshops for Spring 2017!
High School Science Career Series
Your school is welcome to sign up for any or all of these free workshops. Workshops are open to all Grade 9-12 students and are held at the SFU-Burnaby campus. Activites include lab tours and activities, research talks and career panel discussions.
- Teachers are asked to email firstname.lastname@example.org to register their class.
- Registration on a first come, first served basis
- Maximum of 60 students per session
- Sessions are from 9:30am - 2:00 pm
- Teachers are encouraged, but not required, to register their class for more than one session (space-permitting)
|Physics||February 16, 2017|
|Mathematics||February 27, 2017|
|Statistics and Actuarial Sciences||April 5, 2017|
|Earth Sciences||April 26, 2017|
Please note that these sessions fill up quickly. Teachers are encouraged to register their group(s) early to confirm their slots.
NOUVEAU : Ateliers scientifiques gratuits offerts en français!
La Faculté des sciences de l'Université Simon Fraser offre une nouvelle série d'activités et de présentations sur les sciences en français! Développés pour les élèves de la maternelle à la 12e année en immersion française et du programme francophone, ces ateliers sont offerts sur le campus de SFU à Burnaby sur les heures de classe régulières.
Contactez-nous à l'adresse suivante : email@example.com pour obtenir tous les détails et pour inscrire votre groupe d'un minimum de 20 élèves.