The Faculty of Science is a leader in offering science education to BC high school and elementary students, First Nations communities and the general public. Through these programs, we are able to share our laboratories, classrooms and the expertise of our researchers. Most importantly, our community engagement programs demonstrate SFU's commitment to advance science literacy and inspire curiosity and wonder in our next generation of scientists.
Our students and faculty also support many other events within the community and the BC school system by offering their services as classroom lecturers, judges and coaches. We can also arrange for lab tours and career exploration talks. Please contact email@example.com or call 778-782-6967 if we can assist you in your classroom activity.
- All programs for youth are offered for free at the Burnaby campus.
- Unless indicated, all workshops are held at the Trottier Studio for Innovative Science Education, room C9051 Shrum Science Chemistry Building. See map.
- If your class is arriving by school bus, contact us for complimentary parking arrangements. Otherwise, parking fees apply to private vehicles. See SFU Parking.
- We require a 1:10 adult to child ratio, please ensure that you have enough parent/teacher volunteers that are able to supervise the children for the length of the workshop. This pertains to both high school and elementary classes.
- Please let us know if there are any students with special learning needs in your group so that we can modify our learning strategies and content.
- Our science outreach workshops are run by enthusiastic faculty members, graduate students and volunteers - please treat them with respect and courtesy.
Thank you so so much for doing such a fabulous job...My students thoroughly enjoyed the lab exercises you provided. The demos were lots of fun and kept them on their toes!
You have such a wonderful program and thank you so much for welcoming us with open arms.
Ms. Gill, Semiahmoo Secondary School