Our eyes are what we depend on everyday for just about everything. We would be lost without them. But for some people this is the unfortunate reality that they have to live with on a daily basis. This is why the Canadian National Institute for the Blind
(CNIB) has been established.Ever since 1918, the CNIB has been a wonderful source of support, information and hope for Canadians suffering with vision loss. Now, you too can help the CNIB and support an amazing cause by volunteering with this organization.
There are a wide variety of volunteer positions available so you can definitely find something to your liking. Positions include:
- Vision Mate: Help the people with vision loss with social and recreational activities. This is a great opportunity if you like working with other people or have an interest to pursue a career in this field.
- Volunteer Reader: Read out loud books or documents for those with vision loss.
- Speaker’s Bureau: If you enjoy public speaking or wish to improve those skills, you can be a part of the Speaker’s Bureau and give presentations on vision loss as well as the services and programs provided by the CNIB.
- Office Support Assistant: Help the staff with handling phone calls, sending out large mail-outs and word-processing.
- Special Events: Help out with community or fundraising events that are held by the CNIB.
These and many more other volunteer positions are offered by the CNIB. Complete information can be found at http://www.cnib.ca/en/bc-yukon/volunteer/Default.aspx.
This organization was founded and built due to the dedication and hard work of volunteers. It just goes to show the impact that volunteering has had and continues to have for the CNIB. So, if you would like to support this amazing cause, make a difference in your community and learn new skills along the way, contact the CNIB by calling 1-800-563-2642 or visit http://www.cnib.ca/en/support/volunteer/Default.aspx for all the details.
By Jaishree Narsih