The Communication Student Union (or CMNSU) has some excellent opportunities available for aspiring marketers, writers, event planners, and graphic designers.
There are three organizing committees you can get involved with: Careers in Communication, InContext Magazine and Event Planning.
Careers in Communications is an event that brings students and industry professionals together to discuss experiences and options for those breaking into the field of communications. Taking part in the organizing committee will not only allow you to gain practical experiences but it will also give you the opportunity to meet new friends and add some stellar skills to your resume!
Please visit Symplicity for positions and application forms. CMNSU is looking to fill nine positions! For more information please contact Denise Choo at email@example.com.
How to apply: Visit Symplicity to download the application form and please email Denise Choo at firstname.lastname@example.org and CC Jane Chiu at email@example.com with your application and résumé by 11:59 PM on October 22nd.
InContext is the official magazine of the CMNSU and is put together by a staff of student volunteers from the School of Communication. Get involved with this committee to expand your portfolio and showcase your work. Three opportunities are currently available in this committee:
- Art Director, who will be able to use his or her creative force to design the visual concept of InContext. This includes providing the vision for the magazine layout, the pictures, etc. This is definitely a good position for anyone who has the passion for creativity.
- Editorial Director, who will be responsible for article submissions and contributors recruitment. You will have the authority to select which stories or article to be featured in the magazine.
- Marketing Director, who will lead all efforts to raise awareness of the magazine. In this position, you will never have a dull moment. Organizing fund-raiser, sponsorship, and the launching party are only parts of the fun.
If you’re interested with the In Context positions, please note these requirements:
- High interest in gaining experience and contributing in the CMNSU magazine – InContext
- Strong written communication skills
- Knowledge of the Adobe Suites (InDesign, Illustrator, Photoshop)
- Ability to work well with a team
- Willingness to be committed
Event Planning Committee: Stay tuned for more details!
What you’ll get from these opportunities:
- Opportunity to engage with a diverse group
- Opportunity to develop a coordinated relationship with schools
- Personal development opportunities
- Educational benefits
- Employment benefits
- Enhance your resume
- Learn new skills (team work, networking, technical skills, project management)
- Be more creative
- Attend events
- Build your portfolio
- Contribute to the SFU community
The CMNSU, as you might already know, is a collaborative group of students from around the Communication faculty at SFU. Together they take on the responsibility of representing the student body in both withe school as well as the community. The CMNSU is driven to bring together all aspects across the field of Communications and provide students with the necessary experiences that will take them further into their careers.
By Kelvin Claveria