Natural gas dryers? Yeah that’s right — natural gas dryers for your clean, albeit wet, laundry loads.
In my time at the EPIC Sustainable Living Expo a week ago, I met up with Mr. Wolfe from Fotis BC’s “Home of Energy Efficiency”. And efficient it was. The room had natural gas powering everything from cooking ranges, to vehicles and even a natural gas dryer.
You, like me, may not be convinced yet by their proposal of a natural gas dryer. However, Mr. Wolfe offered various reasons why:
- The natural gas comes from the methane from landfills
- Although electric from BC comes from hydro, this is not the case for other parts of the world
- By switching to natural gas, we can offer our surplus hydro electricity to other provinces and/or countries so that they may be able use them
- Electricity is good for computers and TVs but not quite as efficient in generating heat
- Natural gas dryers saves up to 38% in energy costs compared to electrical dryers’
For more info on natural gas dryers as well as other tips and rebate offers by Fortis BC, visit fortisbc.com/energysavings.
By Chris Ng