Looking for a one of a kind volunteer opportunity? Look no further because TEDx is coming to campus!
TEDx is a program of local, self-organized events that bring people together to share a TED-like experience. TED is a world renowned speaker series that aims to share innovative and original ideas designed to inspire and share knowledge. TEDx is modeled on TED events and combines speakers and videos for a unique experience to ignite discussion. The speakers have a quick 18 minutes to share their thoughts before an audience, and then videos are subsequently posted online.
The first ever TEDxSFU is coming to SFU Surrey on Saturday, November 26. Some of the speakers include John Furlong, Jim Chu, Julio Montaner and Colleen Hardwick, among many others. TEDxSFU is looking for student help for this landmark event. The volunteer positions include:
- Registration: Assist the attendees to sign in at the registration and provide nametags and program
- Food/coffee: Oversee the food and coffee table at lunch and breaks, supply food/condiments/napkins when needed
- Livestream site: Answer any questions regarding TED and TEDxSFU from the public, oversee the livestream site area
- Floater: Answer questions from attendees/guests and assist with any extra duties for the event as needed
- Setup & takedown: Set up to assist with laying out the venue and organizing rentals/Packing and organizing everything after the event
- Ushers: Provide assistance in the theater, allow/disallow access to the theater during the talks, act upon all comments/complaints
- Speaker liaison: Greet speakers and provide them with any logistical needs
- Technical assistant: Coordinate powerpoint slides and TED talks, pass microphone to speakers
If any of these positions interest you, apply today! The deadline to apply is Friday October 28, so don’t hesitate if you are at all interested in volunteering at TEDxSFU.
By: Rya Kobewka