SFU’s RADIUS Ventures launches second Slingshot cohort
An online marketplace for B.C. wineries, a company with an innovative organics-processing technology, and a student talent crowd-sourcing platform are among the social ventures that will receive expert mentoring in the second annual SFU RADIUS Ventures Slingshot accelerator cohort.
RADIUS Ventures [RADical Ideas, Useful to Society] is a social innovation lab and venture incubator based at Simon Fraser University’s Beedie School of Business.
With ongoing funding support from Vancity Credit Union, RADIUS Ventures focuses specifically on “radical ventures” that have a strong mandate to create social and environmental well‐being.
The Slingshot Ventures program is a six-month business accelerator program that helps growth-ready social ventures move to the next level. Participants must apply and, if selected, pay a program fee plus performance fees based upon shared success.
Ventures participating in the 2014 Slingshot cohort are:
- Ethelo Decisions, an online decision-making service for uniting groups of all sizes
- Homesteader’s Emporium, a one-stop shop for urban homesteading products
- Self-watering garden manufacturer LifeSpace Projects
- New District, an online marketplace for independent wineries in British Columbia
- Riipen, an online platform where companies can crowd-source student talent
- Transformation Projects, an innovative event-planning organization
- Urban Stream, which aims to reduce the carbon footprint of urban communities through collection and composting of organic waste
- Youth in Development, an organization devoted to engaging youth in international development
“Each of the ventures coming into Slingshot represents an innovative solution to a meaningful societal challenge,” says Donovan Woollard, director of RADIUS Ventures.
“Our role is to harness the resources of Beedie School of Business, Vancity, and our amazing network of mentors to help these ventures succeed.”
Through immersion in design thinking, lean start‐up methodology and hands‐on mentorship and collaboration, RADIUS Ventures will work with the eight ventures over the coming months to refine their offerings, optimize their operations and prepare them for growth and investment.