Christina Dickson, left, leads the Clan with six goals in nine games.


Christina Dickson scores three in nine minutes

October 09, 2015

By Steve Frost

Freshman Christina Dickson scored three goals in less than nine minutes as Simon Fraser University hammered Saint Martin’s University 5-0 in a Great Northwest Athletic Conference women’s soccer game Thursday, Oct. 9 on Terry Fox Field.

Simon Fraser scored five minutes into the game and again before the game was 20 minutes old. Then in the second half Dickson went to work.

The Clan’s leading goal-scorer scored her first at 80:37 and then struck again six minutes later on a hard shot from outside the penalty area at 86:19. She notched her third unassisted off a rebound at 89:19.

There are no records to indicate if the goals were the fastest in the history of SFU women’s soccer. Although the three goals were scored quickly, they were not close to the National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA) Division 2 record for the fastest three consecutive goals scored by the same player. That record is 1:09—set by Ashley Elsass of Grand Valley St. against Findlay, on Sept.28, 2007.

The fastest three goals scored by the same player in NCAA D1 is 2:02, scored by USA national team star Abby Wambach when she played for Florida in a game against Arkansas on Nov. 2, 2000 (scored at 67:42, 69:21 and 69:44).

Dickson leads the Clan with six goals in nine games. She is now tied for the conference goal-scoring lead with two other players. Dickson had a multiple goal game in the Clan’s first game of the season, notching two against Humboldt State. Her other goal came against Central Washington.

The win improved the Clan’s record to 3-2-1 in the GNAC, good for third place behind league leader Concordia (4-0-1) and Western Washington (4-0-0). Simon Fraser is 5-2-2 overall.

Saint Martin’s fell to 0-5-0 in the conference, 1-7-0 overall.

“I'm very proud of the team for executing our game plan today,” says Clan coach Annie Hamel.

“I am pleased that today was a total team effort and everyone got a lot of minutes.”

SFU junior Olivia Aguiar opened the scoring with her third of the season unassisted. She dribbled to the top of the box unmarked and fired a shot past SMU goalkeeper Chelsie Still. Freshman Katelyn Erhardsen scored her first of the season in the 19th minute. She took a through ball from Dickson and fired a shot from just inside the box.

Simon Fraser fired 25 shots towards SMU’s Still, forcing her to make 10 saves. SFU goalkeeper Priya Sandhu faced five shots and made four saves.

SFU took four corner kicks while the Saints had two.

Simon Fraser’s next game is on the road Saturday, Oct. 10 against Northwest Nazarene (2-3-1 GNAC, 5-5-1 overall).