Goldcorp Centre for the Arts, 149 West Hastings Street
After the Pandemic: The Future of University-Community Engagement
FREE. Register to receive the meeting link.
When: Thu, Jan. 28, 10:00 a.m. – 11:30 a.m.
Where: Online via Zoom.
Co-presented by SFU's Vancity Office of Community Engagement, SFU's Community-Engaged Research Initiative, and SFU Public Square
COVID-19 has profoundly disrupted the operating and economic logic of post-secondary institutions across the country. But even before the pandemic, social fractures, polarization and inequality was already present. How can a new role and mission for post-secondary institutions and community engagement be articulated in the present moment that speaks to these social tensions?
If universities potentially have a new role in the present and future, what might it be? If community engagement at universities is a method that enhances teaching, research and scholarship, what else can universities tangibly provide in return to communities that is meaningful in this time?
Join us for a virtual panel conversation to explore these questions, and to think ahead to how a post-pandemic future for university-community engagement might look.
- Susan Mide Kiss, Senior Director, Strategic Initiatives in Community Engagement, University of Calgary
- Charmaine Lyn, Director, Changemaker Education, Ashoka Canada
- Namiko Kunimoto, Director, Center for Ethnic Studies, Ohio State University
- Gaelle Mushyirahamwe, Research Assistant, National Association of Friendship Centres
- Ginger Gosnell-Myers, Indigenous Fellow, Decolonization and Urban Indigenous Planning, SFU Morris J. Wosk Centre for Dialogue
- Magda Goemans, Manager, Community Campus Engage Canada
Moderated by Am Johal, Director of SFU's Vancity Office of Community Engagement and Co-director of SFU's Community-Engaged Research Initiative.
Live captioning will be available for this event.
WEBINAR ZOOM LINK
A link to access this webinar will be sent to all registrants via email in the days and hours preceding the event.
To attend this event, you will need:
- A computer, tablet, or smartphone
- An internet connection
- Speakers or headphones
PLEASE NOTE: This event will be recorded.
Find out more about the work of our partners & join the online discussion in SFU's Vancity Office of Community Engagement Facebook group!