Welcome to the School of Interactive Arts & Technology
The School of Interactive Arts & Technology (SIAT) is an internationally recognized interdisciplinary school with a focus on technology and the human experience. SIAT MSc., MA, and Ph.D. students develop and apply innovative multi-disciplinary research methods to explore the broader implications of advanced information and media technologies. Guided by these studies, they design new technology and media experiences that are responsive to individual, organizational, and societal values. SIAT’s infrastructure includes state-of-the-art teaching and research facilities, and is further enhanced by the capabilities and resources of our many university collaborators and partner organizations in the public and private sectors, which also provide opportunities for internships
How we support our graduate students
Students admitted to our graduate program can expect to receive funding for multiple years in the form of scholarships and/or research and teaching assistantships. SIAT graduate students are mentored in interdisciplinary research methods and various forms of dissemination, such as international academic publishing, conference presentation, or curation and exhibition of media arts, both locally and abroad.
Areas of research at SIAT
Our program’s unique focus, which brings together experts and students from media arts, science, and computing, prepares graduates for diverse careers in the technology sector and in academia. SIAT alumni hold leading positions in industry and in tenure-track positions in institutions around the world.
Our specialized areas of research include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Interactive Computing: visualization and visual analytics, human-computer interaction, artificial intelligence, tangible interfaces, virtual and augmented reality, learning technologies, game design and technology, and other themes
- Media, Visual Arts and Performance: performance technology, interactive animation, interactive environments and installations, game narrative, film and video, audio/music, digital curation, and other themes
- Design: parametric design, sustainable design, interaction design, game design, immersive experience design, museum design, design for children and the elderly, and other related themes
- People: cognitive, perceptual, and social psychology, anthropology and ethnography of media, history, user modeling, chronic pain management, and health data management
- Science of Interaction: uses the scientific method to develop and test theories of human perceptual, cognitive, interactive, and communicative performance that are used to design, prototype, and evaluate interactive systems in their context of use.
Locating the school
SIAT, at Simon Fraser University’s (SFU) Surrey campus, is located directly on the main rapid transit line to downtown Vancouver. Metro Vancouver is home to one of the central nodes of Canada’s cultural and entertainment industry and much of its digital media production. The region’s rich cultural, natural and intellectual resources make it one of the world’s most desirable places to live and work. SIAT, a unit of the Faculty of Communication, Art and Technology (FCAT), is a member of many local, national, and international networks, and has strong connections to leading companies.
For more information
Visit our admissions website for more information on the admissions process, and take a look at our Facebook or Twitter accounts to see what we are up to and learn about our latest news, research, and exhibitions.