Joint SFU / Douglas College Field School to Greece: May 5 - June 23, 2018
The Hellenic Studies Program, in collaboration with Douglas College, is pleased to offer a field school to the cradle of western civilization, Greece.
Students will spend two weeks in the Greek capital of Athens, home of democracy, philosophy, and theatre. Today Athens contains some of the world’s richest museums (The Archaeological Museum) and site of the Acropolis, Parthenon, and Acropolis Museum, where ideas of classicism, democratic sovereignty, imperialism, and cultural appropriation can be fruitfully explored. Accommodations in the Greek capital are at the American College in Greece – DEREE, a modern campus located on the slopes of Mt. Hymetos.
Students will then travel to the Aegean island of Lesvos, where they will stay for the remainder of the field school. The island of Lesvos is the third largest in Greece and has played host to important developments in Greek history and culture since antiquity. Home to Archaic era poets Alcaeus, Arion, and Sappho and the historian Theophrastos, the island was known in antiquity as a place of refinement. The island has passed under Roman, Byzantine, Genoese, and Ottoman rule, and was host to the legendary pirate admiral Hayreddin Barbarossa.
Greece Field School applicants must meet the following requirements to participate:
- Must be 19 years of age or older prior to departure.
- Have completed a minimum of 30 units of university courses*
- Have a minimum 2.5 CGPA*
- Recommended that students should have completed at least one course that meets the "W" requirement and one FASS course*
- 1 academic reference who has taught you in the past (professor/instructor or graduate-level TA, SFU lab instructor, or professor from another university or college (for transfer students only))
- 1 personal reference (employer, mentor, coach etc..., no family members permitted)
- Consent of the Field School Director
Applications are administered through the SFU Study Abroad System.
Please note Douglas College students must also apply to SFU as a visiting student. The deadline to apply as a visiting student is January 31, 2018.