Sociology-Anthropology Joint Major
In order to declare the Sociology-Anthropology joint major, you must have completed or be enrolled in the last of the lower division requirements, and your SA GPA must be 2.0 or above.
The lower division requirements (minimum 30 units) are:
- SA 100W-4 Perspectives on Canadian Society
- SA 101-4 Introduction to Anthropology
- SA 150-4 Introduction to Sociology
- SA 201W Anthropology and Contemporary Life
- SA 250-4 Introduction to Sociological Theory
- SA 255-4 Introduction to Social Research Methods (Q)
- SA 257-4 Understanding Quantitative Research in Sociology and Anthropology
- Plus a 200 level SA elective (4 units)
Once you are declared in an SA program, you will have priority enrollment access to upper division SA courses.
The upper division requirements (40 units**) are:
- SA 301-4 Contemporary Ethnography
- SA 350-4 Classical Sociological Thought
- SA 355-4 Quantitative Methods
- SA 356W-4 Ethnography & Qualitative Methods
- SA 402-4 The Practive of Anthropology
- Five (5) upper division SA electives, of which at least one must be S-designated, one must be A-designated, and one must be SA-designated.
**If you are short 3 or more units, you will need to take an additional upper division SA course.
- No more than 4 units in Directed Readings may be used towards completion of this program.
- No more than 15 upper division units transferred from another institution may be used towards fulfilling these requirements.
- Your SA GPA and UD GPA must be 2.0 or higher for admission to and completion of this program.
Please refer to the SFU Academic Calendar for detailed degree and program requirements.