Note: the Sociology Major requirements have changed as of Fall 2016. If you declared your major prior to Sept. 1, 2016, you will complete your program based on our previous requirements, which can be viewed here. If you have not yet declared your major, you will need to complete the requirements as listed below.
In order to declare the Sociology major, you must have completed or be enrolled in the last of the lower division requirements, and your SA GPA must be 2.0 or above.
The lower division requirements (minimum 22 units) are:
- SA 100W-4 Perspectives on Canadian Society
- SA 101-4 Introduction to Anthropology
- SA 150-4 Introduction to Sociology
- SA 250-4 Introduction to Sociological Theory
- SA 255-4 Introduction to Social Research Methods (Q)
- SA 257-4 Understanding Quantitative Research in Sociology and Anthropology (Q)*
Once you are declared in an SA program, you will have priority enrollment access to upper division SA courses.
The upper division requirements (minimum 30 units) are:
- SA 350-4 Classical Sociological Thought
- SA 355-4 Quantitative Methods
- SA 356W-4 Ethnography & Qualitative Methods OR SA 357W-4 Survey Methods
- Five (5) upper division SA electives, of which at least two must be S-designated.
- No more than 4 units in Directed Readings may be used towards completion of this program.
- No more than 15 upper division units transferred from another institution may be used towards fulfilling these requirements.
- Your SA GPA and UD GPA must be 2.0 or higher for admission to and completion of this program.
Please refer to the SFU Academic Calendar for detailed degree and program requirements.