REEL 76 [DAT C33]
PORTAGE LA PRAIRIE, MANITOBA Nov. 10, 1973
[ID 9 49:59]
1. CHURCH BELLS, Ukrainian Catholic Church 3'01"
[ID 10 53:00]
2. CONVERSATION ABOUT CHURCH 2'30"
[ID 11 55:25]
3. INSIDE CHURCH 6'23"
B [ID 12 1:01:54]4. GREEK ORTHODOX CHURCH, asking for bells 3'20"
[false take, 6"]
[ID 13 1:05:18]
5. GREEK ORTHODOX CHURCH 6'45"
[ID 14 1:13:28]
6. CHURCH BELL, St. Hyacinth's Roman Catholic Church 8'40"
HIGHWAY #240, MANITOBA
D [ID 15 1:22:16]7. FIRE AT DUMPING AREA 9'30"
E [ID 16 1:32:09]8. BREEZE IN TALL GRASS 3'55"
REEL 76 COMMENTARY1. Short conversation at beginning (til 0'30"), some light traffic ambience in background. Bells start 1'04". These are definitely the strangest bells in this collection. Weird electronic chimes, but not unattractive. Listen to the envelope, some bells have hardly any attacks.
2. Relaxed exchange but not much information. Great Ukrainian accents of the two men the recordists are talking to. Fairly noisy traffic in background.
3. Lots of microphone rumble at beginning (til 0'42"). Voices clear in very quiet reverberant space. A bit of traffic coming from outside. Little bit of history about Ukrainian church, but recordists don't seem to be interested, don't have anything to say or ask. Going outside (5'15"). Bad wind at end.
4. No bell, just talk, footsteps. Entering church, talking to ladies who are selling perogies. Not sure how to ring the bells. Woman puts on a nylon coat (2'40") and recordists walk upstairs with her, clunk, clunk and outside, bad wind at end.
5. Back inside, recordists buying perogies and walking downstairs to eat them. Generally very quiet ambience with women's voices and footsteps. But there is a horrible microphone noise on left channel (2'35" to end).
6. Starts outside with train whistle, beautiful continuous blowing. Bell starts ringing (1'00"). It is a high clanging bell, whistle joins in. Great. Talking to the priest. Recordists want to make a photo (5'00"), walking into church, upstairs for photo (5'30"), click (7'10"), footsteps downstairs (7'30") and story about minor ringing accident (8'00"). Ambience change into porch at end of take.
7. Car motor turned off (0'15"). Very quiet, open prairie, light snow on the ground. Small fire tended by an old man, burning in a local garbage pit (10 miles north of Portage la Prairie). The old man's distant coughing (6'00") is as if he never leaves this place. The flame sounds greasy.
8. Silvery, dry grass, crisp, quiet, by the edge of the road. Cars pass by (3'00"), but generally everything is very peaceful.