REEL 13 [DAT 7]
Stuttgart, Germany Feb. 27/75
A [ID 23 1:29:32]
1. STREET AMBIENCE, distant siren
B [ID 1 0:19]
2. STONE MASONS, Schillerplatz
C [ID 2 4:33]
3. RATHAUS CLOCK, with ambience of market place (Marktplatz)
mark * noon bells
mark * carillon playing folk song
D [ID 3 10:18]
4. KONIGSTRASSE, main street downtown
mark * train passing, followed by man giving sales pitch for vacuum cleaner attachments.
E [ID 4 13:28]
5. POLICE SIREN in police garage, Neckarstrasse, called Martinshorn.
[ID 5 14:05]
6. FIRE SIREN, passing in Stuttgart/Wasen
[ID 6 14:53]
7. EXPLANATION OF NEW EMERGENCY SIREN
[ID 7 16:05]
8. NEW EMERGENCY SIREN
9a. ( false start )
[ID 8 17:48]
9. COG RAILWAY, Alte Weinsteige
G [ID 9 18:20]
10. SERIES OF TELEPHONE SOUNDS: busy signal, ringing, woman telling time, dialing.
[ID 10 19:22]
11. TELEPHONE CALL TO A FRIEND
H [ID 11 21:13]
12. SUBWAY, Charlottenplatz, new car
[ID 12 22:32]
13. " " " another train passes on the other side
[ID 13 24:23]
14. SUBWAY, Charlottenplatz, with bells ringing , announcing departure.
Bissingen, Germany March 1/75
[ID 14 26:11]
15. AMBIENCE FROM THE HILL , overlooking village
J [ID 15 38:58]
16. SATURDAY NIGHT VILLAGE AMBIENCE, Mittlerestrasse.
1. Very short take.
2. Active working ambience: hammering (woodhammers on stone) men whistling while working, periodically a compressor in background, covering up most of the other sounds. With 80 dBA this compressor is a "quiet" one, compared to most others.
3. Market in progress. Several churches ringing noon. A garbage truck almost manages to mask bells. After it passes one hears several church bells ringing at the same time. Foreground ambience: market. Good take.
4. Good sequence. With trains passing and a salesman trying to sell vacuum cleaner attachment, which is supposed to clean better than all the others. Toward the end of his pitch, he jokes around with his customers, and they with him. These kind of street salesmen are a common phenomenon in Germany.
5. Siren sounds rather diseased! (P4) On a 1972 VW Variant, called Martinshorn.
6. Good Doppler effect. Interval changes from P4 to M3 while passing. Progression looks like this:
7. Newly designed emergency siren, louder in front and distance, quieter on the sides.
8. Siren (as explained in 7) has a warble on lower note; it is electronic, directed over loudspeakers.
9. It's the only cog railway in Stuttgart.
10. &11. Note watch ticking throughout takes.
12. Quite loud for a new car.
13. Good sequence; last subway leaving was an old car, note the strange rattle.
15. Kids and birds in foreground, background of low, frequency rumble; middleground compound of sounds drifting up from the village. The churchbells strike I pm and provide a focus for the sequence. Can you hear the ticking watch?
16. Remarkably still, for a Saturday night, except for a jet plane and a car.