REEL 20 [DAT 10]
Bissingen, Germany March 6/75
A [ID 9 47:00]
1. BLACKSMITH SHOP, hammering of scythe
mark * sharpening of whetstone [54:24]
mark * cracking whip [1:01:00]
B [ID 10 1:02:20]
2. ALSATIAN DIALECT, Herr Dr. Berg telling two stories
Salzburg, Austria March 15/75
C [ID 11 1:03:22]
3. MIDNIGHT BELLS
[ID 12 1:07:56]
4. VOICES IN THE STREET, mark *
1. Note difference in rhythm from repairing hammer (Reel 19, D-8). mark * #1: blacksmith explains how farmers used to carry their own whetstone for their scythes and shows us a horn pouch for keeping the whetstone in. After, conversation about the sound of horse and ox carts leaving every morning for the fields. Sound disappeared around 1953, last cart until 1960. Cracking whip! Note besides the cracking, the sound of the whip sailing through the air.
2. Note combination of German and French words.
3. Bells from many different churches. Intermittent broadband noise from street washer. Note: only two sets of bells sound. High bell sounds the hour, low bell rings 12 times (in Bissingen the two lower bells each rang 12 times).
4. People seem to perform for the mic, whistling. Heavy traffic passing.