REEL 28 [DAT 14]
Salzburg, Austria March 23/75
A [ID 5 46:20]
1. WALKING OUT OF GUESTHOUSE INTO STREET, horse and carriage passing by, accompanied by dog barking.
B [ID 6 47:19]
2. SALVATOR MUNDI (largest cathedral bell) preceded by ambience in Domplatz.
mark * bell begins [51:44]
C [ID 7 1:00:43]
3. CATHEDRAL BELLS, from middle of Domplatz (Palm Sunday).
(see tape 29, take 1).
D [ID 8 1:08:16]
4. PALM SUNDAY SERVICE, begins in the Domplatz and the people progress around the square, singing a hymn.
mark * hymn begins. [1:13:05]
2. Huge sound, drowns out all other sounds around. This bell occupies one tower; the rest (6 bells) occupy the other. Salvator Mundi is equal in weight (14,000 kg.) to the others combined.
3. Almost complete, except for first one or two attacks. Recorded from middle of square, amidst the sounds of people milling about the square, before forming the procession.
4. Unusual soundscape with priest's voice amplified and reverberant outside and many people's footsteps and voices in foreground.