REEL 3 [DAT 2]
Stockholm, Sweden Feb.10,12/75
B [ID 1 0:24]
1. CENTRAL STATION - from men's room to train platform.
mark * out of men's room into waiting room. [2:20]
mark * door slamming sequence begins. [4:13]
mark * whistle marks beginning of train departure sequence. [5:34]
C [ID 2 7:52]
2. SUBWAY STATION - harmonica player and teenage drunks in subway station (speaking in limited English).
D [ID 3 11:00]
2a. APPROACHING AND DEPARTING SUBWAY TRAIN.
E [ID 4 12:18]
3. SUBWAY RIDE - followed by parabolic echo-effect in one part of the station.
mark * soft Swedish voice on P.A. announcing station. [14:33]
mark * repeating echoes start here. [17:27]
F [ID 5 19:20]
4. TELEPHONE SIGNALS - dialing telephone and busy signal.
G [ID 6 20:05]
5. Dialing telephone and ringback tone.
H [ID 7 20:50]
6. Dialing telephone and ringback tone.
I [ID 8 22:13]
7. OLD PULLCHAIN TOILET - private apartment (incomplete).
J [ID 9 23:10]
8. Complete toilet flush.
K [ID 10 25:50]
9. OLD TREADLE SEWING MACHINE.
L [ID 11 26:43]
10. SWEDISH LANGUAGE requesting information.
M [ID 12 28:25]
11. STADHUSET BELLS from water's edge (Barnhusrikan canal).
N [ID 13 37:24]
12. CHURCH BELLS - from Mosebacketorg.
1. Constant ambience of dripping water and low level electric hum in men's room. Occasional voice fragments.
2. Note fascination of the boys with the mics; English pop music.
3. Note ambience change as doors to subway car close. Constant whistle tone ambience through out.
4. Note fluctuations in pitch of busy signal.
8. Note long decay and final sputter at end.
11. Take begins with clear set of two footsteps walking together through the Stadhuset courtyard and arcade, into the open passing the tower. A garbage truck enters, slowly drives through the the arcade after the bells finish.
Recorded at the same point and at the same time of day as Strindberg's description in 1879 - see the pages of his novel The Red Room.