REEL 53 [DAT 27]
Lesconil, France April 16/75
[ID 13 47:15]
1. BOAT BUILDING, PLANING WOOD (4 takes)
[ID 14 52:37]
2. " BUILDERS, talking in Breton ( 2 men)
[ID 15 55:19]
3. DIALOGUE WITH TWO BOAT BUILDERS
[ID 16 58:12]
4. FISHERMAN'S PIER, criée (auction)
mark * a long blast from criée whistle. [58:50]
[ID 17 59:45]
5. FISHERMAN'S PIER, boat engines idling.
mark * several long blasts from criée whistle. [1:01:14]
5a. (false take)
[ID 18 1:02:39]
6. FISHERMAN'S PIER, boat motor running.
mark * another boat motor starting. [1:03:18]
[ID 19 1:10:10]
7. FISHERMAN'S PIER, boat motor ambience.
mark * beginning of lots of commotion, one boat going out, another one starting up etc.. [1:15:50]
mark * more commotion, fisherman spits and laughs, boat leaving. [1:28:03]
1. This section consists of 4 short takes:
a) useless; bad disturbance in mic.
b) very short take, planing wood.
c) longer, better take, including car horn, car idling in background. (toward end of take, disturbance in mic.)
d) first planing wood, then truck passing, men clunking around in truck, then putting clamps on wood.
4 & 5. Active pier ambience, boat motors idling, criée horns very penetrating.
6. Boat going out, good clear take of motor "tock-tocking". Later on (mark*) another boat starting up, but not masking first one.
7. At mark * (1) note heavy low frequencies with many motors running. Fisherman walking on pier with wooden clogs, but can't hear them; masked by motor sounds. Towards end of take, relief from heavy low freq. beats from motors; all boats have left. Some birds and water sounds now audible.