VANCOUVER 2010-11 COLLECTION
FOLDER 1 - Downtown VancouverCANADA PLACE, JUNE 4/2010
2. Prow at Canada Place (west side), 1:17COAL HARBOUR, JUNE 4/2010
3. Behind the new Convention Centre building facing the North Shore, 1:59
4. West of Convention Centre, in front of seaplane tour operator, 4:22CANADA DAY CELEBRATIONS AT CANADA PLACE & CONVENTION CENTRE, JULY 1/2010
5. Coal Harbour in front of Children's Water Park, 2:01
6. Coal Harbour Marina, 3:40
7. Soundwalk in Jack Poole Plaza on Canada Day, 5:11
8. Canada Place on Canada Day, 1:56
9. Fireworks at Jack Poole Plaza on Canada Day, 19:12
DOWNTOWN INTERSECTIONS, NOVEMBER 10/2010
10. Hastings & Granville, 2:06
11. Hastings & Granville II, 2:00
12. Seymour & Pender, 3:20
13. Richards & Pender, 2:30
DOWNTOWN INTERIOR AMBIANCES, NOVEMBER 10/2010
14. Waterfront Station, 3:08
PACIFIC CENTRE, JULY 2/2011
15. MacLeod's Bookstore, 4:12
16. NE Corner of Robson & Howe SOUNDWALK, 4:13WATERFRONT STATION SOUNDWALK, AUGUST 25/2011
17. Dunsmuir Entrance SOUNDWALK, 7:37
18. Seabus exit through Waterfront Stn onto Cordova - SOUNDWALK, 9:12COAL HARBOUR, SEPTEMBER 8/2011
19. Park Bench behind the Westin Bayshore Hotel I, 6:55
20. Park Bench behind the Westin Bayshore Hotel II (9 o'clock gun), 3:59
21 Park Bench in front of Condos, 5:19
FOLDER 1 COMMENTARYCANADA PLACE
1. Overcast day, loading cruise ship for departure, people walking about on prow, announcement for ship re: departure (in several languages) in background, track ID @ end.COAL HARBOUR
2. Seaplane taking off, small amount of people walking about on the prow, child's voice at 40 sec, footsteps beginning at 0:51
3. Harbour ambience, people walking/cycling past, waves below touching the shoreline.
4. Track ID @ intro, footsteps @ intro, conversation @ 1:40, harbour ambience, plane engine @ 3:30.CANADA DAY CELEBRATIONS
5. Track ID @ intro, in front of Marine Bistro Restaurant, water fountain keynote, people walking about, conversation, harbour ambience (seaplanes) - evident at 1:20.
6. Sitting on a park bench over-looking/hearing the marina, seaplane @ intro, people walking around - talking, car horn at 1:36, child's voice beginning at 1:50, adult's voice at 2:30/2:48, seaplane engine gradually increasing beginning at 2:35.
7. *Soundwalk*, beginning in front of Olympic torch walking to Canada Place (walking east), Afro-pop orchestra on stage @ Jack Poole Plaza, plaza & street were absolutely crowded, street vendor music begins @ 1:50, children's play area horn @ 2:48, "Happy Canada Day" by an event volunteer @ 3:55, music from Canada Place stage @ 4:30 - becomes increasingly louder as I approach.DOWNTOWN INTERSECTIONS
8. Recording begins @ 12:00pm sharp, horns playing the first few notes of O Canada, followed by a performance of the national anthem by the artists on stage, a surprising amount of inattention granted to the performance & the event, weather was overcast & breezy.
9. Thousands gathered @ Jack Poole Plaza and Canada Place to watch, beginning of the recording - hundreds join in a spontaneous singing of O Canada, I'm sitting behind the stage at the northern most part of the plaza, @ 0:45 - fireworks begin and people cheer, people speaking/yelling, cheering & walking past throughout the recording, 9:20 - another spontaneous singing of the national anthem, the crowd is comprised predominantly of adolescents, finale @ 18:30, cheering @ 18:55.
10. SW Corner of intersection, traffic sounds, voices of pedestrians scattered throughout, footsteps, 1:13 - sound of the busses connection to the wires above, car brake squeal at 1:35.DOWNTOWN INTERIOR AMBIANCES
11. Same position as above, loud car engine at 0:15, street vendor at 0:35 selling calendars, someone passes me looking for bus 17 at 1:15, truck passes at 1:30, brake squeal at 1:50.
12. NW corner of the intersection, keynote of traffic, people's voices are apparent, 0:55 truck beeping (reverse?), 1:15 bus passes, 1:30, bus suspension lowers to allow people on and off.
13. In front of bookstore - NE Corner of the intersection, keynote of traffic, beep at 0:45 - truck in reverse, cough/voices at 1:10, 1:40 door to bookstore closes, and again at 2:20.
14. Recording in the main atrium, began recording at the east side of the atrium, walked west, then back east before finishing, music is coming from the convenience stand, voices and footsteps are evident throughout, high ceiling - lots of reflections, footsteps at around 1:50.PACIFIC CENTRE SOUNDWALKS
15. Walking around the bookstore, jazz music playing, 1:20 door closes, I'm perusing the store throughout the track, short drum solo starts at 0:50, cough at 2:35, vacuum begins at 3:50 (loud!).
16. Soundwalk through the main level of the Sears department store, public announcement/advertisement, music at 0:35, voices throughout - shoppers and sales staff, SO MANY PERFUMES! what a smell, it gives me a headache. I walked the perimeter then into the centre, then past the coffee shop - the ceiling is much higher here - the space & sound changes drastically, door outside at 3:23, beside City Centre Skytrain exit, track ID @ end - sneeze!WATERFRONT STATION SOUNDWALK
17. Soundwalk through mall enter at Dunsmuir, mall ambience - voices, footsteps, music, footsteps at 1:20 - high heels, loud music at 1:56, music changes according to the store that I'm in front of, Sears at 3:56 - men's floor, shift to adult contemporary music from dance music, voices of men shoppers, electronics section at 5:40 (baseball game), sneeze x 3 at 6:24, advertisement at 7:05, track ID @ end - 7:30.
18. From Seabus to terminal to Cordova St Soundwalk, recording begins with conversation with two guys asking about what I'm doing! At 1:55 we part ways as we leave the Seabus, we walk off the bus at 2:20, someone else approaches me at 2:35 asking about the device I'm carrying, we part ways at 4:05, escalator at 4:05 (track ID), I enter the enclosed hallway at 5:45, I walk past the fans/ventilation at 6:20 and exit at 7:10, enter station at 7:30, exit at 7:50 to Cordova St - turn left, past restaurant (playing music by the Police), track ID at end - and I end in the parking lot beside Steamworks.COAL HARBOUR 2011
19. Park bench recording, on a walkway, voices & footsteps of pedestrians, loud footsteps at 1:25, bike passes behind me at 1:42 and 3:02, dog passes at 3:10, squeaky shoes at 4:20.
20. *9 o'clock gun recording* car alarm at intro, dog named Cocco stops to say hello, then says hello to pedestrians (this is quite a funny sequence), ship radio at 2:25, gunshot at 3:03, 3:11 echo (!), track ID @ 3:48 - "it's nine o'clock".
21. Conversation of a couple in front of me and a few lengths away on another park bench, harbour ambience, bike bell at 1:33 and 1:43, two bikes pass at 2:00, a guy yelling, talking to friends in the park behind me at 2:15, jogger passes at 2:55, party boat playing music passes at 3:05, high heels at 3:35, cough at 5:05.