VANCOUVER 2010-11 COLLECTION
FOLDER 4 - UBCWRECK BEACH, JUNE 12/2010
1. Soundwalk, 4:42
MUSEUM OF ANTHROPOLOGY, JULY 15/2010
2. Behind the MOA, 4:02BEACH BEHIND THE MOA, JULY 15/2010
3. Inside the MOA, 0:31
4. Inside the MOA, 3:49
6. Student Union Building I, 5:30
7. Student Union Building II, 3:31
8. Buchanan Tower Soundwalk, 7:53
9. Segewick Library (now the Koerner Library) basement, 5:14
10. Outside the Music Building, 3:38
11. Nitobe Memorial Garden, 6:03
FOLDER 4 COMMENTARY1. *Soundwalk*, Track ID @ intro, Rastafari singing reggae in Spanish at beginning, thousands of people are on the beach, @ 1:20 - band performing a Doors tune "Roadhouse Blues" to an audience of about 40-50 people, sunny, gorgeous day, people playing frisbee @ 3:15, Storytelling @ 3:35 (explicit), conversation in Spanish @ 4:35.
2. Track ID @ intro, recording was taken while sitting on a log amidst the Bill Reid carvings, photograph "beep" from a visitor's camera @ 0:35, footsteps @ 0:55, boat can be heard at a distance (engine sound) at aprox 1:00, birdsong is faint and sporadic from the nearby trees and foliage, discussion amongst visitors @ 1:55, airplane beginning @ 2:40.
3. Track ID @ intro, high ceilings - reverberant space.
4. Footsteps at 10 sec, not many people around as it is set to close at 5pm (within 15 mins of this recording), moderate amount of activity taking place - camera sound (beeps & shutters), chatter amongst guests, footsteps.
5. Track ID @ intro, no clouds - not very windy, not many people on the beach, waves crashing upon the shore as keynote, someone walks past me over the rocks that line the shore @ 4:05, I made this recording while sitting on a log, about 10 metres back from the water.
6. Track ID @ intro, truck (or sidewalk cleaner) passes at 0:50, ambient voices of people relaxing on the lawn (I'm in front of the SUB at a distance of about 100 ft), bird chirping at 2:10, truck in reverse from a distance at 2:55 (construction ambience), truck in reverse at 3:35, loud crash at 4:23 - construction materials, truck passes at 5:17.
7. Same position as previous recording, begins with truck in reverse - beeping, bird chirp at 0:54, crash at 1:09, truck engine at 1:54, voices at 2:30, horn at 3:20.
8. Track ID @ intro, sitting by a tree just outside the front door off to the right, some wind, truck passes at 1:20, bike passes at 2:04, begin walking at 3:10, enter building at 3:30, ventilation sounds/vending machines, enter escalator at 4:05, off at 12th floor - history department, circle the hallway - soundwalk past offices, get back on the escalator at 6:35, exit at 7:13, exit building at 7:30, track ID @ end.
9. Track ID @ intro, custodian passes at the beginning of the track, counter clockwise walk of the library, pass another custodian at 2:00, track ID @ 2:30 - in the study carrells, the library is mostly empty because the recording was made the week prior to the fall semester starting, past the bathrooms at 3:40, past the copy room at 4:15, back into the main basement hallway at 4:45, track ID @ end.
10. Track ID @ intro, brass quartet outside the music building holding a practice, garbage truck passes at 0:55, horn at 1:30, they begin the piece again at 2:50, end at 3:30.
11. Track ID @ intro, traffic ambience from nearby road (sporadic), car radio at 1:05, voices at 1:30, plane at 2:25, bird at 2:54, loud car/motorcycle/truck at 3:10, car & motorcycle at 3:55, bird at 4:20, plane at 5:15.