VANCOUVER ISLAND March 14, 1973
[false take, 20"]
[false take, 5"]
1. FERRY ARRIVING IN NANAIMO 9'45"
2. BEACH ON THE WAY TO CAMPBELL RIVER 4'35"
3. CHILD READING STORY 4'00"
4. FIRE ENGINE SIREN 1'15"
[false take, 5"]
[false take, 33"]
[false take, 30"]
5. STRATHCONA LODGE, fire in old fireplace 7'15"
6. STRATHCONA LODGE, table tennis 1'40"
REEL 41 COMMENTARY
1. Unclear take, quite uninteresting. Recordist waiting for ferry to dock before leaving.
0'35" exchange of greetings.
1'00" engine roar and bump of docking.
2'20" reverse thrust of engines (some distortion).
3'40" drop in recording level.
5'25" begin to walk off, voices of foot passengers.
6'30" footsteps audible, wind noise on microphones.
8'30" nearby engine of passing vehicle.
9'35" recordist enters car.
2. Opens on the beach with water sound, surf in middleground. Some wind on microphones. Second recordist anxious to start recording some birds. Not great.
3. Shy child (recordist's little cousin) being encouraged to tell a story. As she regains her breath, the reading becomes bouncier and bouncier. Natural flow of word rhythms increase toward the end.
3'00" story begins, she is reading from a storybook.
4. opens with traffic sound.
0'20" fire engine siren.
0'40" sudden cut-off of siren.
5. Lighting a fire in an old fireplace, with old mechanical bellows. Crunch of paper and some voices in background. Note the very quiet ambience.
*3'40" bellows start, low frequency rumble of fire as bellows blow air. The old bellows make different qualities of sound, depending on speed and vigour of the action.
*5'35" crackling starts, very clear in this silence.
7'15" very quiet tinkle of fire, low hum audible.
6. People playing this game, don't say anything. Balls very clear in this very quiet ambience, but the players don't play very well. Some sighing and a quiet hum in background.