VANCOUVER ISLAND March 15, 1973
1. STRATHCONA LODGE, outdoor ambience 0'55"
2. ELK FALLS PARK
3. NOON HORN IN CAMPBELL RIVER 3'00"
4. PULP MILL (DUNCAN BAY & ELK FALLS CO.) AMBIENCE 1'55"
5. " " " " " " " " 4'40"
6. THE IDEAL CAFE 16'00"
REEL 43 COMMENTARY
1. Birds, rain, forest, nice and clear. Raindrops hitting car roof?
2. Wind in virgin forest, broadband sound. Tension arm oscillation causes a pulsation problem. Recordists' shuffling disturbs part of this take. Only partly good as a result.
3. Opens with recordists discussing the problem of where to record from. Lots of fast moving traffic.
*2'18" noon horn, sounds like a sick cow!
4. Approaching pulp mill in car, windshield wiper, wet pavement, bad wind on microphones. Not great.
5. Recorded from parking lot, broadband sound with interesting high frequency modulations. Lots of interesting internal sound fluctuations.
3'00" leaving in car, windshield wipers in foreground, good "cross-fade".
6. Although the recorder was placed right next to one of the recordists, very little of their sounds (eating, conversation) are identifiable through the ambient conversation, the fan noise and kitchen clatter. Starts outside, walking inside with lots of rumble on microphones. Restaurant ambience, ordering and eating lunch, constant background conversation, no music.
3'45" "Ding" of kitchen signal.
5'25" food arrives.
6'40" pop and gurgle of deep fryer in background.
7'25" sizzle of skillet.
7'55" kitchen signal again.