DOWNTOWN VANCOUVER FOUNTAINS March 12, 1973
1. FOUNTAIN AT QUEEN ELIZABETH THEATRE 9'15"
2. COURTHOUSE FOUNTAIN 5'15"
3. COURTHOUSE FOUNTAIN 9'40"
4. BENTALL BUILDING FOUNTAIN 6'25"
REEL 56 COMMENTARY
There is not much variation between the three fountains here, which are all rather heavy and sloppy sounding.
1. Begins with recordists approaching fountain, some music from the theatre audible in background.
2'00" change position, move away from water towards theatre, crowd leaving theatre, mix of people and fountain.
*3'10" move into theatre lobby, full of people.
5'25" individual voice audible, briefly.
*6'45" back outside, to fountain area.
9'00" move off, toward street and traffic.
2. Approaching fountain.
0'50" moving closer, occasional traffic sound audible behind water sound.
4'45" microphones move away from fountain.
3. Same fountain, recorded at LFA (low frequency attenuation) setting of the Nagra, because of gusty winds.
0'50" microphones move up to fountain.
2'50" moving away.
4'30" car or truck horn.
5'35" microphones move up to fountain again.
6'30" moving away.
7'00" car with studded tires moves past.
*9'00" ignition of vehicle, followed by horn.
4. Approaching fountain until close.
2'30" microphones move off, traffic appears and air brakes of truck or bus.
*3'30" getting into car, slamming door, starting up and driving, switching radio stations in a loud somewhat aged Volvo. At one point there is music by Gustav Mahler on the radio, Mahler who strove for musical clarity broadcast into this lo-fi environment!